Fixing the top area of a page to not scroll

SerenityNetworks

(Qualifier: I'm a noob at this. I'm not a developer.)

I've been intercepting the default from the mouse wheel to control the playback speed of a video instead of scrolling the page. But Firefox has issues with me doing this. I was wondering if in addition to intercepting the mouse wheel signal to control the video speed, if I could also 'fix' the row of the table that contains the video, so that it doesn't scroll. The concern is that the row that contains the video, also has two textareas. The video and the textareas can be resized during the video playback. I'd want everything above the bottom of the row to remain fixed at the top of the page. I'd also need to be able to turn off the functionality, so a person can scroll the entire page when needed.

Can someone point me to an example that I can apply to this situation? (I've seen some examples, but I'm missing how I could make them work for these conditions.)

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

PS. I'll be engaged on another task today, so I may not reply again until tomorrow.

Below is the structure:

Table

Table ROW

Table Data

My control buttons.

Next ROW (This is the row that needs to stay in position)

Table Data

Video (note, it can be resized during playback)

Next Data

A textarea (this can also be resized during playback)

Next Data

A textarea (this can also be resized during playback)

Next ROW

Table Data

This is the stuff that can scroll all it wants.

More rows that can be scrolled

End of Table

Could you post a link to the webpage with the problem so that we can see the entire issue you are having and thus provide the best solution tailored to you?

Off the bat I can see you are using table tags to format your page, which could cause for some of the difficulties you have. but how serious depends on how you've set up the rest of the page and the CSS styles you're using.

also this is not so much a Javascript problem as it sounds mostly like a CSS/HTML problem. catching the mouse via javascript can be done, but I'm not sure if you can map it to the playback speed of the player as every video player can be very different. A lot of questions can be answered and even more potential problems can be discovered if we can have a link to the page.