web caching

hisoka

about:cache

shows this :

Information about the Network Cache Storage Service:

memory Number of entries: 46 Maximum storage size: 18432 KiB Storage in use: 139 KiB Storage disk location: none, only stored in memory List Cache Entries disk Number of entries: 5333 Maximum storage size: 556 KiB Storage in use: 354675 KiB Storage disk location: ....... List Cache Entries appcache Number of entries: 0 Maximum storage size: 555555 KiB Storage in use: 0 KiB Storage disk location: ...........

46 objects are stored in memory

5333 objects are stored in hard disk

the question is why ? why the 46 objects are not stored in disk or why some objects are stored in memory ? why not all objects in disk

second question

When I tried to open an object using Morzilla , the object (the page ) is not displayed but instead is a box appeared asking me to save file or open it with why ? I expect mozilla firefox to open it and to display the web page as it is cached !!?

entry file proprieties :

file name = 0A724800006600468900731UZT817C28DALL611B9

type = file

description = 0A724800006600468900731UZT817C28DALL611B9

What is the hexadecimal number ? can the hexadecimal number be cracked to see its content ?

and how to open the entry ?

the question is why ? why the 46 objects are not stored in disk or why some objects are stored in memory ? why not all objects in disk

Programs use data in memory, not on disk. In order to use data on disk a program first reads it into memory, then uses that data. It can write back to disk in order to save the data permanently.

When I tried to open an object using Morzilla

You tried to open an "object"? What object? How did you try to open it?

What is the hexadecimal number ?

That's not hex. U, Z, and T are not hex digits.

can the hexadecimal number be cracked to see its content ?

I doubt it. That looks like an ID or hash, not encrypted data.

and how to open the entry ?

If you want to know how a Mozilla program handles things internally then you need to ask Mozilla. Their source code is available if you really want to dig into how it works yourself. Otherwise, you're asking questions that only the people who wrote that software care about.
  • Like 1

"You tried to open an "object"? What object? How did you try to open it?"

The object I am talking about is mozilla firefox file stored in the hard disk as a result of browser caching there 5333 objects or files stored in a directory . when I double click one of them and choose to open it with firefox instead of the page being displayed , it is downloaded . So why I cannot open it with firefox if it is a web page stored in my hard disk !!?

"I doubt it. That looks like an ID or hash, not encrypted data."

a hash can be cracked

when I double click one of them and choose to open it with firefox instead of the page being displayed , it is downloaded

That's because the files are named without an extension, and Firefox doesn't know how to display a file without an extension so it shows the download box. Firefox doesn't magically know that you're trying to open a file that it saved in the disk cache.

So why I cannot open it with firefox if it is a web page stored in my hard disk !!?

Who says it's a web page? Maybe it's an image. Maybe it's a CSS file. It could be anything. Firefox keeps a database of everything so it can match things up with what it is looking for, but the cache is specifically designed to not be readable by people. If you were an attacker you could go into someone's cache and just start taking things to look at. Firefox probably stores them in a binary, maybe encrypted, format.

a hash can be cracked

No it can't, at least not in the way you are thinking. It is possible to find collisions for a hash, but considering the fact that a hash algorithm takes an infinite number of responses and maps them to a finite set of hashes, given any finite hash there is no way to determine which of the infinite possible original responses was used to create it.
  • Like 1

Who says it's a web page? Maybe it's an image. Maybe it's a CSS file. It could be anything. Firefox keeps a database of everything so it can match things up with what it is looking for, but the cache is specifically designed to not be readable by people. If you were an attacker you could go into someone's cache and just start taking things to look at. Firefox probably stores them in a binary, maybe encrypted, format.

THAT IS IT :)

I used Cacheviewer Mozilla addon to see them