Looking for a better way to edit content

VIB

Hi,I always designed my website in html/xhtml and javascript using text editors only. It's quick, confortable and efficient to create my site layout like that. But the big downside is when trying to update my website's content like that. My site is used mostly for sharing applications, application parts, data files and tutorials of a couple of different categories. So I have a couple of menus and submenus, and adding one item to one specific spot requires me to go through several .html files, copy/paste some entries and modify the new item manually by searching through html tags and typing the new content.Adding new content to my site is painfully time-consuming and it gets worse as I build more and my site grows. I hate updating my site because of that.What I needed was a way to update content quickly and automatically. I've heard there are softwares that you could just click with the mouse on "menu 2" -> "submenu 4" -> "add new item" -> "type in some of the item details", and done. The software would automatically generate the new html code, using my very own layout now updated with new content. It would automatically update the code of the main page with a "site last updated 6/10/2006", add a news item to the news page and similar tasks. Or maybe if I could only use a XML editor to add items and then use something to automatically update my website using the XML database.But I have no idea of where to look for. I'm just a html dinosaur who writes his personal webpage on notepad. I have no clue what CGI, PERL, ASP or all of those do. I know some very basic steps into XML, but I don't know how to actually use that to add menus/submenus/items to my website. I don't need fancy visual WYSIWYG editors or anything. I can handle the HTML layout just fine. What I need is a content editor.Where should I start looking for? Is there indeed a software that could do all that for me?Thanks in advance ^^

Well there is software what can do some of what your asking for.. TSW WebCoder is what I once used and you could edit all files in a folder. Another way to go is PHP, Perl, ASP and other advanced lanuages.On my website the navbar is included txt files. so I just have to change the content in one txt file and every page changes. I also do the same thing to my header and footer.With the Last Updated advanced languages can look at the properties of the file and just display the last changed date for users to see.

How does that program differs from any other html layout editor?I still even don't know the difference between PHP, Perl and other. But I don't wanna use that because my server does not support it. And I shouldn't need it in the first place. My site doesn't need to have online interactivity with the server. I just want a tool to automatically generate the HTML so I can add new content automatically.But thanks for the tip :)