working with recursive xml

Guest cjbottaro

Guest cjbottaro

Hi,I have some recursive xml:

<urn>  <div>    <div>       <urn></urn> A       <urn> B          <urn></urn> C       </urn>     </div>   </div></urn>

I'm "at" the first urn node. Now I want to apply a template to all *first level* <urn> tags under current(). I don't know how to say this very well. I want A and B from the above code, but not C. I guess technically, I want all the <urn> tags who's FIRST <urn> ancestor is current().The problem is that I don't know how many divs there will be, so I can't say:

select='./*/*/urn'

If I say:

select='.//urn'

then I get ALL the <urn> tags below current(), so that's no good either.Thanks for the help.

Hi,I have some recursive xml:
<urn>  <div>    <div>       <urn></urn> A       <urn> B          <urn></urn> C       </urn>     </div>   </div></urn>

I'm "at" the first urn node.  Now I want to apply a template to all *first level* <urn> tags under current().  I don't know how to say this very well.  I want A and B from the above code, but not C.  I guess technically, I want all the <urn> tags who's FIRST <urn> ancestor is current().The problem is that I don't know how many divs there will be, so I can't say:

select='./*/*/urn'

If I say:

select='.//urn'

then I get ALL the <urn> tags below current(), so that's no good either.Thanks for the help.

Hmm.... interesting issue. How about something like that:
select='.//urn/*[not(local-name(current())='urn']'

I'm not completely aware of the not() function, but I think it contains a boolean value which is true if the argument is false and vise versa. I haven't tested this, but I think it might do the trick.