Which Programming Language should I choose?

newcomer2006

Hi, Everyone,I am a newbie to web database programming. I need to build a website using SQL sever and some web database programming language. I just want to know which language is good for me? In my case, I need to read and add some data to some tables in the SQL database.By the way, can someone tell me the difference among JavaScript, PHP, Asp, Jsp and Html?Thanks a million!

Yes I can :)HTML, JSP (I am not sure with JSP) and JavaScript are browser languages, with a nice word "client-side". They are, if you can call it like that, executed, at the user that is viewing your page.PHP and ASP are "server-side", which means they are not at the client, but at the server executed.Well, not all these languages are executed, but to stay simple. Some are read, other compared or 'compiled', whatever. HTML is the basic of your website. It is the markup that says, eg, I want a table, with three cells and in the middle one an image. So it tells the browser from what the page is buildt off. JavaScript is a programming laguage, that manipulates the html at the client's side. For example, "make a loop with all the anchors at the page, to colour the second red, the third blue and remove the content of the fourth". Many things can be done by JavaScript allone, at the client side it is allowed to change or alter almost the entire content. It can also calculate, while it is a programming language, so you can use variables and numbers to move things around for example. PHP and ASP are server programming languages. They execute the code at the server and send the output only to the requesting client. This way, the actual code that executes at the server, is hidden for public view. These two are for the same purpose, just two different languages that may be choosed from in your preference. ASP is a microsoft language, and PHP is an open source language (freely available for download and personal use at your own server machine).And SQL is a language with which you interact with the database (call it another server) so you would need to have a server language to use it. As explained above, you then would choose from PHP or ASP.All clear? :)Finally, more of these languages can be combined. Say you have a PHP file, that outputs (sends) an html file to the client, with JavaScript in it to manipulate some things. Remember, ASP and PHP cannot be combined, as they are for the same purpose. The best language for you, we cannot say. We don't exactly know what you want, it is up to you to learn the things you like, to create your website. I suggest begin some tutorials if you haven't already.