Table Loop

musicradiolive

Hi. I am writing a reservation system for a theatre and need a quick bit of help with the table to shows the seats. I have got a database that has got the following tables: Seat ¦ Status ¦ (Customer info (for when they book the seat) In the seat one i put the seats (A1 - A10, B1 - B10 etc) I want A1 - A10 to appear on the first line, then start a new row and do B1 - B10 etc etc for as many rows as i want (it will only go up to T10, but it would be nice to know i can make it easily expandable should more seats be added)Here is the code i am using so far: ---------------------------------------------------

strSQL = "SELECT tblSeats.Seat, tblSeats.Status FROM tblSeats;" rs.Open strSQL, adoCon Response.Write "<table width=700 border=0 align=center><tr>" While NOT rs.EOF 	If rs("status") = "Booked" Then 		col = "Red" 	Else 		col = "Green" 	End If 	 	Response.Write "<td><table width=80% border=1 align=center><tr><td bgcolor=""" & col & """><div align=center class=style3><font face=verdana><a href=make_booking.asp?seat=" & rs("seat") & ">" & rs("Seat") & "</a></font></div></td></tr></table></td>" 	 rs.Movenext() Wend Response.Write "</tr></table>"

Any help anyone can offer on this would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Thanks for your help, i got this :

While NOT rsShow1Avail.EOF 	If sLetter <> Left(rsShow1Avail("seat"), 1) Then 		If sLetter <> "" Then 			Response.Write "</tr>" 		End If 		Response.Write "<tr>" 		sLetter = Left(rsShow1Avail("seat"), 1) 	End If 	If rsShow1Avail("status") = "Booked" Then 		col = "Red" 	Else 		col = "Green" 	End If

This worked without any problems.The only thing i want to do now is create a gap down the middle.This HTML code demonstartes what i mean:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1">  <tr>	<td>A1</td>	<td>A2</td>	<td>A3</td>	<td>A4</td>	<td>A5</td>	<td rowspan="3"></td>   <YOU CAN SEE I HAVE GOT A MERGED CELLS HERE TO CREATE THE GAP DOWN THE MIDDLE	<td>A6</td>	<td>A7</td>	<td>A8</td>	<td>A9</td>	<td>A10</td>  </tr>  <tr>	<td>B1</td>	<td>B2</td>	<td>B3</td>	<td>B4</td>	<td>B5</td>	<td>B6</td>	<td>B7</td>	<td>B8</td>	<td>B9</td>	<td>B10</td>  </tr>  <tr>	<td>C1</td>	<td>C2</td>	<td>C3</td>	<td>C4</td>	<td>C5</td>	<td>C6</td>	<td>C7</td>	<td>C8</td>	<td>C9</td>	<td>C10</td>  </tr></table>

While NOT rs.EOF 	If sLetter <> Left(rs("seat"), 1) Then 		If sLetter <> "" Then 			Response.Write "</tr>" 		End If 		Response.Write "<tr>" 		sLetter = Left(rs("seat"), 1) 	End If 		If rs('seat') == "A5" Then			Response.Write "<td rowspan=3></td>"	End If	If rs("status") = "Booked" Then 		col = "Red" 	Else 		col = "Green" 	End If

Like that?????? It wont work, i get:Microsoft VBScript compilation (0x800A03EA)Syntax error/showavail.asp, line 39, column 16If rs('seat') == "A5" ThenI have obviously done something wrong!?!?

No worries mate :) Just so you know, i took what you said and tried it, didn't work.I noticed elsewhere in my script, when i have used rs( i have done rs(" no rs('So i put:

rs("seat") =

That kind of worked, the error went but the gap didn't appear so i put:[/code]if rs("seat") = "A5" Then Response.Write <td rowspan=3>H</td>"

That way i can see where it's putting the H.It was putting the H BEFORE A5, so i simply changed it to A6 and the H appeared in the right place! All i had to do then was make the cell a Width i wanted.End result :[code]	If rs("seat") = "A6" Then			Response.Write "<td rowspan=3 width=40></td>"	End If

Note to anyone who uses the code: Make sure you change the rowspan=3 to however many rows will appear, otherwise it wont work correctly :) Thanks aspnetguy for your help, very much appreciated. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *Passes aspnetguy a beer*

I am now setting up the reserve seat feature.One note i want to make to poeple, dont get fooled, you need to UPDATE the record, not make a new one (i done that originally and ended up adding more seats lol)I have just got this from w3schools:

<%set conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")conn.Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"conn.Open "-----------------------------------------.mdb"cid=Request.Querystring("seat")if Request.Querystring("seat")="" then  set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")  rs.open "SELECT tblseats.seat, tblseats.status FROM tblseats WHERE seat='" & cid & "'",conn  %>  <form method="post" action="demo_update.asp">  <table>  <%for each x in rs.Fields%>  <tr>  <td><%=x.name%></td>  <td><input name="<%=x.name%>" value="<%=x.value%>"></td>  <%next%>  </tr>  </table>  <br /><br />  <input type="submit" value="Update record">  </form><%else  sql="UPDATE seats SET "  sql=sql & "seat='" & Request.Querystring("seat") & "',"  'sql=sql & "contactname='" & Request.Form("contactname") & "',"  'sql=sql & "address='" & Request.Form("address") & "',"  'sql=sql & "city='" & Request.Form("city") & "',"  'sql=sql & "postalcode='" & Request.Form("postalcode") & "',"  'sql=sql & "country='" & Request.Form("country") & "'"  sql=sql & " WHERE seat='" & cid & "'"  on error resume next  conn.Execute sql  'if err<>0 then	'response.write("No update permissions!")  'else 	'response.write("Record " & cid & " was updated!")  'end if end ifconn.close%></body></html>

But for some reason all i got was Update Record as a heading, no form appeared, This is really annoying!I will admit, this is the first upodate record script i have used that hasn't produced an error, so i am part of the way there :)Oh, by the way aspnetguy, you dont work for pepsi do you? lmao!!

is request.querystring("seat") = "" ??? If not the form will not show

Oh, by the way aspnetguy, you dont work for pepsi do you? lmao!!
Heck no...I work to buy Pepsi...among other things. :)

Heck no...I work to buy Pepsi...among other things
Among other things.... mmmm, think best we leave that one there :)
is request.querystring("seat") = "" ??? If not the form will not show
On the screen that shows the seats it generates a link called:
<a href=bookseat.asp?seat=" & rs("seat") & ">" & rs("Seat") & "</a>

Which then opens http://127.0.0.1/bookseat.asp?seat=A1I then want it to bring up the form for the customer to make the reservation.:::::::::: UPDATE ::::::::::mmm, interesting, i just thought i would have a quick mess around with the script, and i made the form come up.

cid=Request.Querystring("seat")if Request.Querystring("seat")="" then  set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")  rs.open "SELECT tblseats.seat, tblseats.status FROM tblseats WHERE seat='" & cid & "'",conn  %>

GOT CHANGED TO:

cid=Request.Querystring("seat")'if Request.Querystring("seat")="" then  set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")  rs.open "SELECT tblseats.seat, tblseats.status FROM tblseats WHERE seat='" & cid & "'",conn  %>

Notice how the if got a ' so it doesn't runI then had to put ' in the following parts to get rid of the traces:

<%else  sql="UPDATE seats SET "  sql=sql & "seat='" & Request.form("seat") & "',"

THAT BECAME

<%'else  sql="UPDATE seats SET "  sql=sql & "seat='" & Request.form("seat") & "',"

'response.write("Record " & cid & " was updated!")  'end if end ifconn.close

BECAME

'response.write("Record " & cid & " was updated!")  'end if 'end ifconn.close[code]The form then started appearing, i am now going to do the process page, so fingers crossed!!

Ok, that works too :) So i now got the form up, and i have got the process page written as well, but the update doesn't take place so obvilously another bit i gotta change, AGAIN!Have i missed a <> somewhere??

<html><head><title>ADO - Submit DataBase Record</title></head><body><h2>Submit to Database</h2><%on error resume nextset conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") conn.provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"conn.open(server.mappath("-------------------------------.mdb"))if Request.querystring("action")="Save" then	  seat=Request.Form("seat")	  sql="UPDATE tblseats SET status='" & Request.Form("status") & "',"	  sql=sql & "cust_forename='" & Request.Form("cust_forename") & "',"	  sql=sql & "cust_surname='" & Request.Form("cust_surname") & "',"	  sql=sql & "cust_book_id='" & Request.Form("cust_book_id") & "',"	  sql=sql & "cust_address='" & Request.Form("cust_address") & "',"	  sql=sql & "cust_postcode='" & Request.Form("cust_postcode") & "',"	  sql=sql & "cust_area_code='" & Request.Form("cust_area_code") & "',"	  sql=sql & "cust_tel_number='" & Request.Form("cust_tel_number") & "',"	  sql=sql & "cust_cc='" & Request.Form("cust_cc") & "',"	  'sql=sql & "cust_cc='" & now() & "' WHERE tblseats.seat=" & no conn.Execute sql, Recordsaffected if err <> 0 then Response.Write("You do not have permission to update this database!") else  Response.Write("Record number " & no & " was updated.") end if 	  Response.Redirect("default.asp")end if'if Request.Form("action")="Delete" then	  'no=Request.Form("no")' conn.Execute "DELETE FROM tblGuestBook WHERE tblGuestBook.[no]=" & no, Recordsaffected' if err <> 0 then' Response.Write("You do not have permission to delete a record from this database!")' else ' Response.Write("Record number " & no & " was deleted.")' end if 	  'Response.Write("Deleting records has been disabled from this demo")'end ifconn.close%></body></html>

All i get is the heading again, so i go back to the main screen to see if the seat has turned red and it hasn't!GRRRRR lol

comment out this line

on error resume next

it will hide the sql errors and will appear to work correctly. You should get an error ont he screen now.Problems like this are usually sql syntax errors

didn't bring up an errors, just done the same thing again,however, i did make a slight change bearing in mind what you said earlier.

if Request.querystring("action")="Save" then

BECAME

if Request.querystring("action")<>"Save" then

and all of a sudden i got the errorMicrosoft JET Database Engine (0x80040E14)Syntax error in UPDATE statement./bookseat_process.asp, line 26Line 26 is:

conn.Execute sql, Recordsaffected

just to clarify <> means not equal too.What is the value of the querystring('action') that is passed to the processing page? because in the form action there is no querystring being sent. You can remove that If statement completely...it serves no purpose.Okay lets debug your sql.comment out line 26 to stop it from executing and giving us the error. underneath of it type

Response.Write(sql)

Post what you see on the screen after running the form again.

perhaps i forgot to post this change:

<form method="post" action="bookseat_process.asp?action=save">

So a query string is now being passed.No errors anymore, it just goes straight to the:

Response.Write("Record number " & no & " was updated.") end if 	  Response.Redirect("default.asp")end if

and takes me straight back to the default.asp page

so is it updating or still nothing is happaning???Try the thing s I suggested above and be sure to comment out the page redirection to so you can see the sql statement that will be written to the page

did you do this?

comment out line 26 to stop it from executing and giving us the error. underneath of it typeCODEResponse.Write(sql)Post what you see on the screen after running the form again.

Line 26 is out because thats:

' conn.Execute sql, Recordsaffected

I assume you mean:

Response.Write("You do not have permission to update this database!") else  Response.Write("Record number " & no & " was updated.")	<<THIS LINE HERE ? end if 	  'Response.Redirect("showavail.asp")end if

After taking that out out and obviously the else i dont get any errors come up