Auto play sound in Chrome working & not working?

Space Skimmer

Found the solution. Chrome was blocking my page from running sound without letting me know it was blocking the page. How I fixed it-

Click the three vertical dots (customize and control) then settings - Privacy and security - Site settings - Additional content settings - Sound.

Make sure sites can play sound is checked (which it was) then under Allowed to play sound click Add then add your local page or webpage.

• 1 month later...

When I develop a website (with audio) on my PC, I need to test it, including testing the sound.  I don't want to upload it to a server until I am fairly confident that it all works OK.  BUT until it gets uploaded to a server it has no domain name.  So I open the index.html file with my browser (Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge).   This displays the prototype website, but it does NOT produce any sound.  I have tried your kind suggestion above by entering "index.html" as the address.  The browser pretends to accept this, but still refuses to produce any sound.  I suspect this is intentional.