mailto: question

murfitUK

Just a quick one.I've got a link to create an email:<a href="mailto:enquiries@address.com?subject=ENQUIRY">email</a> etcwhich opens up Outlook (or the default email client), creates a new email and sticks the address and subject in the proper fields. The cursor, however, stays at the beginning of the subject line.Any way of moving the cursor to the big message field so the user can start typing straight away.I know it's not a major problem but it would be handy to be able to do it.Thanks.

I don't think there is... but is it too much trouble for the person writing the email to just focus the text box?

I would highy advice you not to use the mailto: link as bots spider websites to collect email addresses for their spam/virus mailing lists. Do something like this:

someone [at] w3schools [dot] com
After all, most people use external email service either way, so a clickable link is just in the way.- Moridin

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick one.I've got a link to create an email:<a href="mailto:enquiries@address.com?subject=ENQUIRY">email</a> etcwhich opens up Outlook (or the default email client), creates a new email and sticks the address and subject in the proper fields. The cursor, however, stays at the beginning of the subject line.Any way of moving the cursor to the big message field so the user can start typing straight away.I know it's not a major problem but it would be handy to be able to do it.Thanks.
You might like to try using this code instead:<a href="mailto:enquiries@address.com?subject=ENQUIRY&body=Text here to delete">email</a>Then they will actually know to delete it hence bringing them to the body of the email! But you can only use up to 30 words for this.

I dont think this is possible. What your saying is when someone clicks the link it stays focused on the subject input line?I dont think that would be too much hassle anyways. Try googling it?