Selecting the first 8 from a table

LittleNicky

Well, the first step is to select which fields you want (or use * for all of them). Your sql so far is:SELECT field1, field2,etc FROM table_nameORSELECT * FROM table_nameThen you have to make sure it is sorted correctly by using the order by command and then ASC or DESC for ascending or descending. As you want most recent first I think you should try DESC:SELECT * FROM table_name ORDER BY date_field DESCThen you want to limit the results to the first 8 rows so the LIMIT keyword seems a good one to use:SELECT * FROM table_name ORDER BY date_field DESC LIMIT 0,7This returns all rows between 0 and 7 (ie 8 rows). Don't forget that your first row is 0 (not 1).

Well, the first step is to select which fields you want (or use * for all of them). Your sql so far is:SELECT field1, field2,etc FROM table_nameORSELECT * FROM table_nameThen you have to make sure it is sorted correctly by using the order by command and then ASC or DESC for ascending or descending. As you want most recent first I think you should try DESC:SELECT * FROM table_name ORDER BY date_field DESCThen you want to limit the results to the first 8 rows so the LIMIT keyword seems a good one to use:SELECT * FROM table_name ORDER BY date_field DESC LIMIT 0,7This returns all rows between 0 and 7 (ie 8 rows). Don't forget that your first row is 0 (not 1).
Exactly what I wanted, cheers!

:) this's useful. Thank youAnother way to select the first 8 rows
SELECT top 8 * FROM table_name ORDER BY date_field DESC

• 5 weeks later...