Position Guidance, Please Help

Private61

Hi, I'm new to web page work and for those who thinks this is too simple a question, sorry. I'm trying to position on a web page a number of images and blocks of text, because of the design layout all items are required to remain in the same position relative to the verticle center line of the page and from the top. I've been using "style position" to achieve this but it leaves me with problems. If I use "absolute" I can control the positions as I need in a reasonable manner until the page is viewed on a system with a different screen resolution. When the change occurs the items are in relationship to each other OK but they move off center for the page. I believe if I could use a reference of top dead center instead of top left corner all would be OK but either it can not be done or I (most likely) can not figure out how to do it. The second option I've used is "relative". I can get this to work but only with a lot of number fiddling in the position statement and if additions or alterations are needed then it goes all wrong and I have to start over again. There is also an additional problem, I use the "top" reference and if I move an item up lot, which is common, I'm left with a large blank section at the bottom. I can not find a way to adjusted this out and it messes the table or end of page up. I hope I have explained my problem OK, but now for my quesion. Is there another way to control the position of images and blocks of text other than using the "style position" or can I change the reference point in "absolute" positioning from top left corner to top dead center? Also if I have to use the "relative" method is there anyway I can avoid large blank areas at the bottom of tables or pages or is there another way to control this method? If anyone could suggest a solution or areas for me to investigate I would be grateful. My problem is I do not know where to look on this site to solve the problem, some sort of starting point would be helpful. Thank you, anyone who offer assistance. Private61

Hi, I tried the DIV it will help group the items together but unfortunatley it moves the position problem from a table or page end into the divison. As I place the items around the divison area I need to apply a negative TOP value to lift them higher and this is where the large blank gap starts to appear at the bottom of the page, table or divison. An example of the style line I'm using being style="position:relative; top:-120px; left:-150px; width:80px; height:80px;"> this would more the item up and left of it's normal position. Appling similar styles but with different top and left value creates a ramdom positioning pattern of the link pictures.Oops! Sorry didn't quite finish the reply but my browser went off on me. Does anyone have any other suggestions, any pointers would be appreciated, thanks. Private61