How to do loop and concatenate three fields

EENew02

Hi,I am trying to do my transformation but I am having a hard time checking for one field but being send multiple times.So when sending an order, I only have one order but within the order I have three service_id, it would look like this in my input fileInput file<service_id>123<service_id><service_id>456<service_id><service_id>789<service_id>The expected Ouput need to look like this<ServiceNumber>123, 456, 789</ServiceNumber>How do I take the above values and concatenate into one field?If I do the below code it will not work because how does it know which service_id it will concat together, since the field names are the same.<ServiceNumber> <xsl:value-of select="concat(service_id, ',', service_id, ',', service_id' "/><ServiceNumber>PLEASE PLEASE HELP...I am so frustrated and stuck.thanks in advance

Simply use the position() to move from one element to another:

<ServiceNumber><xsl:value-of select="concat(service_id[position()=1], ',' ,service_id[position()=2], ',' ,service_id[position()=3]"/><ServiceNumber>

It's a bit trickier if the number of service_id elements is unknown though. Is that the case here, or does this work for you?

Simply use the position() to move from one element to another:
<ServiceNumber><xsl:value-of select="concat(service_id[position()=1], ',' ,service_id[position()=2], ',' ,service_id[position()=3]"/><ServiceNumber>

It's a bit trickier if the number of service_id elements is unknown though. Is that the case here, or does this work for you?

Hi boen_robot,Thank you for your reply. Yeah it's a little trickier in this case, the service_id elements are unknown. I was just given an example. The service_id elements could be anything. That's why I am not sure how to do it. I am going to try what you have provided. In the example I gave three service_id but assuming I don't know how many service_id I will have, sometimes I can have 1 or sometimes I can have 8 service_id. Somehow I think I have to create a loop or something like that but I am not sure how to. Can you please help me see if you have any other options that I can resolve this issue. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks

As a matter of fact, I figured the solution shortly after I posted the first one, but I was too busy to post it :) .Simply define a loop as normal. The output is converted to a single text node, so it's much like a concatenation:

<ServiceNumber><xsl:for-each select="service_id"><xsl:value-of select="."/><xsl:if test="position()!=last()">,</xsl:if></xsl:for-each><ServiceNumber>

If you need to re-use this value in another element, then you could enclose everything up to the <ServiceNumber> element in a template that you would call, or a variable. Each method has it's pros and cons, depending on the situation.

Edited by boen_robot

As a matter of fact, I figured the solution shortly after I posted the first one, but I was too busy to post it :) .Simply define a loop as normal. The output is converted to a single text node, so it's much like a concatenation:
<ServiceNumber><xsl:variable name="ServiceNumber"><xsl:for-each select="service_id"><xsl:value-of select="."/><xsl:if test="position()!=last()">,</xsl:if></xsl:for-each><ServiceNumber>

If you need to re-use this value in another element, then you could enclose everything up to the <ServiceNumber> element in a template that you would call, or a variable. Each method has it's pros and cons, depending on the situation.

Thank you so much for taken your time to answer my question. I will definitely try this out and I will let you know. Thank you thank you!!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...