Server Scripting

avboy5000

I am designing a website for a college newspaper, the layout of mypage is a header and a footer and in the center there is three colomns, left for nav and special content, right for advertising. I was wondering what would be the best script for the center colomn, I want it to read another web page, much like frames but frames are to outdated looking, can any one help me with this??????

If you only want the data grabbed from another site, you may get the targeted data with a DOM inside a server side script (or XPath in XSLT, but that's out of the question). If the other site is written in XHTML, you may actually use the server side script's XML parser to launch an XPath expression aimed at the targeted data.If you want to completely preserve the other site, I think the <object> element is the only non-frame way, but I'm not aware of a cross browser configuration for it. Not to mention the ugly "click here to activate this control" which will appear.

just type into to google the server side lanaguage you want to use and the phrase screen scrape.eg php screen scrapeAll languages can do this. It grabs the html output from the targeted page and you can parse the returned html to pick out the pieces of data you want.