RegisterClientScriptInclude Method

kwilliams

I'm a newbie to ASP.NET and VB.NET, and I'm trying to develop a way to include an external script file to a central ASP.NET page. After doing some research, I found information on the ClientScriptManager.RegisterClientScriptInclude Method at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2552td66.aspx.So this is what I developed for my page:

<%@ Page Language="VB" ContentType="text/html" ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1" AspCompat="true" Debug="true" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %><%@ import Namespace="System" %><%@ import Namespace="System.IO" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Xml" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Web.UI" %>Sub Page_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)Dim page_path = page_qs 'Querystring variable unique to each pageDim vbkey As String = page_pathDim vbpath As String = "http://SERVERNAME/DIRECTORY/bgscripts/vb/vbdoc.vb"'Define the name, type and url of the client script on the page.		Dim csname As String = vbkey		Dim csurl As String = vbpath		Dim cstype As Type = Me.GetType()		' Get a ClientScriptManager reference from the Page class.		Dim cs As ClientScriptManager = Page.ClientScript		' Check to see if the include script is already registered.		If (Not cs.IsClientScriptIncludeRegistered(cstype, vbkey)) Then			cs.RegisterClientScriptInclude(cstype, vbkey, ResolveClientUrl(vbpath_new))		End IfEnd Sub

But I'm receving this error message:Compiler Error Message: BC30002: Type 'ClientScriptManager' is not defined.I made sure to register the namespace at the top of the page (<%@ import Namespace="System.Web.UI" %>), but I'm still getting the same error. If anyone can help me to figure out what I'm doing wrong, that would be great. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
did you add the reference in VS (or VWD)senu1.jpg
Hi aspnetguy,Sorry that I didn't get back to your question sooner. This forum isn't emailing me even thought I've subscribed to the thread. I'm developing the site using Web Matrix, and I'm not sure how I would add a reference with that...or whether or not I need to. If you could give me more clarification on this, that would be great. Thanks.

My first suggestion is, stop using Web Matrix...it is outdated and wasn't that good to begin with.Install .net framework 2.0 and download Visual Web Developer Express, it is free fromt he microsoft site. It is much better than Web Matrix.I don't use web matrix so I do not know how to add the reference either.

My first suggestion is, stop using Web Matrix...it is outdated and wasn't that good to begin with.Install .net framework 2.0 and download Visual Web Developer Express, it is free fromt he microsoft site. It is much better than Web Matrix.I don't use web matrix so I do not know how to add the reference either.
I've been thinking of switching to VSE for a bit, so I appreciate your advice. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Well, I've installed Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, and I really like it so far. Thanks for the suggestion.
did you add the reference in VS (or VWD)
I see how to add a reference to my site, but I don't know which reference to choose. There are two lists: .NET and COM. I've looked for "Client Script Manager" and "Register Client Script Include", but neither of them are on the lists. Could you help to point me in the right direction?

I see how to add a reference to my site, but I don't know which reference to choose. There are two lists: .NET and COM. I've looked for "Client Script Manager" and "Register Client Script Include", but neither of them are on the lists. Could you help to point me in the right direction?
It's .NET. The file you are looking for is System.Web.dll.

Are you certain that you are using .NET 2.0? I don't know about Visual Web Developer, but in Visual Studio, when I create a new Web Site, most, if not all, of the System DLLs are referenced automatically and don't show up in my bin directory.The Page class is in System.Web.UI, and all of the web controls (like <asp:Button />) are in System.Web.UI.WebControls. If you are able to access those classes then you have System.Web referenced correctly. Therefore, if you have System.Web referenced correctly, then you should be able to access ClientScriptManager unless you are not using 2.0.

I don;t think you have to manually add a refrence to System.Web...it should be done for you whne you start a new project.Just make sure you have C#
using System.Web;

At the top of your code, if using code behind.

These are all of the namespaces I have referenced at the top of my page:
<%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %><%@ import Namespace="System" %><%@ import Namespace="System.IO" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Xml" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Web.UI" %>

...so I should be covered, correct? But I still receive the same error message when attempting to call that method.

I don;t think you have to manually add a refrence to System.Web...it should be done for you whne you start a new project.Just make sure you have C#

using System.Web;

At the top of your code, if using code behind.