IMPORTANT -- XML/XSLT HELP

kvnmck18

I had about 500 CDs stolen from my house 2 weeks ago now I am filing a my insurance report...I have to list all the CDs stolen. I have about half of my CDs on my Itunes, to save time I was goign to use the XML of the Itunes Catalogue. I have already started doing this but there is a problem...Pretty much everything is referred to as "key", "string", or "interger"...but when I made my XSL it only selected the values of the first "keys"/ect. is there anyway to get all the "keys" under the selected value of "plist/dict/dict/dict"?Here's my XSL so far:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:template match="/"><html><body><table><xsl:for-each select="plist/dict/dict/dict"><tr><td><xsl:value-of select="string"/></td></tr></xsl:for-each></table></body></html></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

I can't put the XML....it's way to long, if you think you need it I'll post a snipit.I hope you can help, this would save me so much time....I hope I explained this well.

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:template match="plist/dict/dict/dict"><html><body><table><xsl:for-each select="/"><tr><td><xsl:value-of select="string"/></td></tr></xsl:for-each></table></body></html></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

I've tried this too...I think this is more on the way.Here's the /dict of just one song:

<dict>			<key>Track ID</key><integer>44</integer>			<key>Name</key><string>Agenda Suicide</string>			<key>Artist</key><string>The Faint</string>			<key>Album</key><string>Danse Macabre</string>			<key>Genre</key><string>Alternative & Punk</string>			<key>Kind</key><string>AAC audio file</string>			<key>Size</key><integer>3850776</integer>			<key>Total Time</key><integer>238515</integer>			<key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer>			<key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer>			<key>Track Number</key><integer>1</integer>			<key>Track Count</key><integer>9</integer>			<key>Year</key><integer>2001</integer>			<key>Date Modified</key><date>2004-11-16T02:06:10Z</date>			<key>Date Added</key><date>2004-11-16T02:05:10Z</date>			<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>128</integer>			<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>			<key>Play Count</key><integer>5</integer>			<key>Play Date</key><integer>-1102521467</integer>			<key>Play Date UTC</key><date>2005-02-28T19:30:29Z</date>			<key>Location</key><string>/The%20Faint/Danse%20Macabre/01%20Agenda%20Suicide.m4a/</string>			<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>4</integer>			<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer>		</dict>

I need the <key>Artist</key><string>The Faint</string><key>Album</key><string>Danse Macabre</string><key>Year</key><integer>2001</integer>....oh and I have thought about attributes to distinguish them...but if you think about it that'd take a year to do (that's 3 times 500 at min)

Are the keys always in this order? I mean, is the artist for example always in the 6th element (3rd key, second) place? If so, then the easyest way to go is position(). Something like:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:template match="/"><html><body><table><thead><tr><xsl:for-each select="plist/dict/dict/dict/*[position()=5 or position()=7 or postion()=25]"><td><xsl:value-of select="."/></td></xsl:for-each></tr></thead><tbody><xsl:for-each select="plist/dict/dict/dict"><tr><xsl:for-each select="*[position()=6 or position()=8 or postion()=26]"><td><xsl:value-of select="."/></td></xsl:for-each></tr></xsl:for-each><tbody></table></body></html></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

If you weren't in a hurry, I would have tryed to devise a more flexible solution, but if this works for you, then such is useless right now anyway.

That worked~ But, now is it possible to do this but limit the result... so there is no repeat with the position 6, 8, 26?PS- You are by far the best XML expert in the world. Nothing stumps you.YOU ROCK

Well, you can always add a conditional in the cell like this:

<xsl:for-each select="*[position()=6 or position()=8 or postion()=26]"><td><xsl:if test="whatever you want to exclude by"><xsl:value-of select="."/></xsl:if></td>

But that's probably not the most comfy and flexible thing. And it still relies on position() too.Without it... hmm... I'm not sure, but I think this might work just as well:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:template match="/"><html><body><table><thead><tr><xsl:for-each select="plist/dict/dict/dict/key[.='Artist' or .='Album' or .='Year']"><td><xsl:value-of select="."/></td></xsl:for-each></tr></thead><tbody><xsl:for-each select="plist/dict/dict/dict"><tr><xsl:for-each select="key[.='Artist' or .='Album' or .='Year']"><td><xsl:value-of select="following-sibling::*[position()=1]"/></td></xsl:for-each></tr></xsl:for-each><tbody></table></body></html></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

And you can add new columns by just adding them to the "key[.=Artist' or .='Album' or .='Year]" parts. And adding filters to them is just as easy. If you want to add a filter only for specific key, you would make it like:

key[boolean(.='Artist' and string(following-sibling::*[position()=1])='whatever artist you want to filter by') or .='Album' or .='Year']

And if you want to add overall filter (applicable to any key) then.... press any key... haha.... just little computer joking :) . Anyway... if you want any key filter, then use the boolean() function over all keys, not just one:

key[boolean(.='Artist' or .='Album' or .='Year') and string(following-sibling::*[position()=1])='whatever you want to filter by']

P.S. Actually, there are still a few things that I can't handle properly with XSLT. XPath axes are one of those things, so I'll be a little surprised if my above code works flawlessly.