Beta Site

avboy5000

I am about to release a website for a newspaper, but the paper doesn't want an extravagant website at the time because the lack of articles and information that will be on the site at the begining. It has been discussed calling the first site a beta site until there are more artilces online and archives of all of the print versions.I was wondering if it was alright to call a web site a beta site in this situation. I have researched the word beta on several different sites and most of them were referring to software and games. I just dont want to use the word and then someone think I am an idiot for using it in the wrong context.So does anyone know if it will be alright to use it our not?

when people use the word beta they generaly mean that something is in the testing stage and has not been "finalized" so calling a website may imply that it is not complete or not 100% bug proof (if that is actually possible :))

well, if you follow google's operations at all, then you'd know the answer to that question :) - http://froogle.google.com/ has been in "beta" for more than 3 years and I am sure their budget and content is expotentially greater than the newspaper site you are working on. So, I'd say you are more than safe to label the site as a "beta" version. I'm doing right now with http://www.rsssource.net/ and with another site that I am building. The first hasn't seen my attention in months and the newest one I'm focusing on will roll out live in "beta" format as I have lined up hand selected customers that will test the site in a live environment - they're my guinea pigs but in a real life business setting.So go for it! I'd just advise the newspaper to not hold that label for too long - no more than a year. If they are marketing correctly, then the newspaper will be plugging the site in their paper as much as it can without spaming that medium. Additionally, they should look into having certain articles (maybe a staff editorial) only printed as an abstract and then in full detail online - to help drive traffic and even target marketing too.If content on the new site is an issue, then look to "fill" up space with an couple (or more) RSS feeds. They are free and if its a small town paper, then I'd pull news from a state oriented RSS feed.I've could spend the next hour spitting ideas, but then I'd have to send you a bill.:)Seriously though, if you are at a loss for ideas or want me to expand on a few that I've mentioned, let me know.