What resolution should a page be designed to be viewed?

SmokingMan

I just recently upgraded my monitor to a 19" LCD flatscreen and have discovered that since I increased my resolution to 1024 x 768, that a number of pages are designed for 800 x 600 and are pushed to the left of the screen. They look awful since they don't expand to fit the higher resolution. So my question is, in your opinion, should pages be designed for the higher resolution or for 800 x 600?I hate to go to a website and have to scroll the page horizontally, so I want to be sure to design them so they will fill the screen, but don't overflow. I always set my widths in percentages already, so they do fit the screen at the higher resolution, but since they were designed on a monitor at 800 x 600, the feel of the page is different as it expands to fit the higher resolution monitors.I'm just kinda looking for suggestions and opinions on this.

The way I look at it, if a website was designed to look good at 800x600, and my monitor is set to 1600x1200, I can always shrink my browser window so that the view port of the browser is closer to 800x600. But even then, I rarely make my window smaller than 1024x768 any more. The only time I set it to 800x600 is for testing the design of a site.I, personally, try to make my pages look a little squished (i.e. no wasted space) at 800x600, just about right at 1024x768, and a little sparce (i.e. lots of wasted space) at resolutions above that.

1024x768 is the current acceptable standard for the "general" public. you should always review your historical site statistics to discover what the majority of your users view your site in. If its a first launch, then you might want to make a liquid 800x600 unless you have a good idea (based on target market demographics) that you visitors are going to be more up to date - then you can start off higher.

I'm getting ready to put up a site for my brother's new restaurant. I've did this as a hobby up to this point, this will be my first site to be used commercially so I want to do it right. All of my pages have been designed for 800 x 600 so far, but I set my pages with percentages as widths so they expand for the higher resolution. My new monitor is set at 1024 x 768, and I'm just wondering what the "standard" is, and what might be the best way to go once I begin to put this together. I know there's no real "set in stone" way to do this, so I' thought I'd just solicit some opinions before I really get started.

I think you are on the right track. Design for 800 and make it look good if it expands and if you program it to.Most restuarant sites can actually be programmed to not expand - lets face it, there is only so much you can say about a restuarant. So they tend to be pretty simply sites that can be programmed to stay 800x600 - done properly, it might even look more professional that way.

• 2 weeks later...