Pull and Assign XSLT Parameter from ASPX Doc

kwilliams

I've been able to pull and assign a XSLT parameter in ASP, but I'm now converting my site over to ASP.NET. I'm using XML, XSLT, ASP.NET, and VB.NET for this new site using the xslTransform method, and I want to pull an XSLT parameter into the ASP.NET page, and then assign a new value to that XSLT paramater using a form that's created from the XSLT stylesheet. This is what I have so far:XSLT parameter

<xsl:param name="fname_value" select="''" />

ASP.NET code

<%@ Page Language="VB" ContentType="text/html" ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1" AspCompat="true" Debug="true" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Web" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Web.UI" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Web.UI.HtmlControls" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Xml" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Xml.Xsl" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Xml.XPath" %><%@ import Namespace="System.IO" %><%@ Import Namespace="System.Text" %><script language="vb" runat="server">	Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)		Dim xmlURL As String = "form.xml"		Dim xslURL As String = "form.xsl"		'Assign dynamic url for this page		xslTransform.DocumentSource = xmlURL		xslTransform.TransformSource = xslURL	End Sub</script><html><body>	<asp:Xml id="xslTransform" runat="server"></asp:Xml></body></html>

I haven't found much on how to do this in ASP.NET, but I did find a great article from a book titled "XSLT and ASP.NET" at http://www.topxml.com/dotnet/articles/xslt...ransforming_XML under the ".NET Classes Involved in Transforming XML" section. The book/article is written in C#, and I use VB.NET. But I'm using a C# to VB.NET converter at http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/utilities...csharptovb.aspx to help out.As far as I can see, this article doesn't have any examples involving pulling and assigning a value for an XSLT parameter using the method that I'm using, so I'm not sure where to go with this. So I'm looking for some direction on this subject. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

This is an example (fragment) from a project of mine. This was done in C#, but it should point you in the right direction

XslTransform xsl = new XslTransform();	xsl.Load(MapPath("StyleSheet.xslt"));XsltArgumentList xsltArgs = new XsltArgumentList();xsltArgs.AddParam("ParentTable"	,"","Arg1");xsltArgs.AddParam("ChildTable"	,"","Arg2");this.xmlReport.Document = GetXMLDataSource();this.xmlReport.TransformArgumentList = xsltArgs;this.xmlReport.Transform = xsl;

Thanks for the reply aalbetski.When I converted your code to VB.NET and tried your suggestion, I received this error message: BC30002: Type 'XslTransform' is not defined. This is the converted code that I'm using:

Dim xsl As XslTransform = New XslTransformxsl.Load(MapPath("form.xsl"))Dim xsltArgs As XsltArgumentList = New XsltArgumentListxsltArgs.AddParam("fname_value", "", "Hello")Me.xmlReport.Document = GetXMLDataSourceMe.xmlReport.TransformArgumentList = xsltArgsMe.xmlReport.Transform = xsl

From what you can see, is there something that I'm not doing properly?

Here is an entire project in VB (written just for this)

Imports System.XmlImports System.Xml.XslPublic Class WebForm1	 Inherits System.Web.UI.Page#Region " Web Form Designer Generated Code "	 'This call is required by the Web Form Designer.	 <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> Private Sub InitializeComponent()	 End Sub	Protected WithEvents Xml1 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Xml	 'NOTE: The following placeholder declaration is required by the Web Form Designer.	 'Do not delete or move it.	 Private designerPlaceholderDeclaration As System.Object	 Private Sub Page_Init(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init		  'CODEGEN: This method call is required by the Web Form Designer		  'Do not modify it using the code editor.		  InitializeComponent()	 End Sub#End Region	 Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load			Dim xmlSource As New XmlDocument			Dim xslTrans As New XslTransform			Dim xslArgs As New XsltArgumentList			xmlSource.Load(Server.MapPath("cat.xml"))			xslTrans.Load(Server.MapPath("cat.xsl"))			xslArgs.AddParam("param1", "", "Hello")			Me.Xml1.Document = xmlSource			Me.Xml1.TransformArgumentList = xslArgs			Me.Xml1.Transform() = xslTrans	 End SubEnd Class

After looking up XslTransform's documentation, I also realized that it was now obsolete in 2.0. Our current test server will start running 2.0 exclusively soon, so I'll have to change my site's master page to reflect this change.I really appreciate your help, as I know that you are busy. And when you have time, it would be very helpful if you could show me an example in 2.0 as you stated. So thanks for the offer, and all of your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the code for a VB.NET (2.0) app transforming XML using XSLT and a XmlWebControl. It's actually simpler than before. This is not the same XML that was used in this thread, but the syntax is the same

Dim xa As New XsltArgumentList		xa.AddParam("color", "", "red")		Me.Xml1.TransformArgumentList = xa		Me.Xml1.DocumentSource = (MapPath("items1.xml"))		Me.Xml1.TransformSource = (MapPath("items1.xsl"))

Here is the code for a VB.NET (2.0) app transforming XML using XSLT and a XmlWebControl. It's actually simpler than before. This is not the same XML that was used in this thread, but the syntax is the same
		Dim xa As New XsltArgumentList		xa.AddParam("color", "", "red")		Me.Xml1.TransformArgumentList = xa		Me.Xml1.DocumentSource = (MapPath("items1.xml"))		Me.Xml1.TransformSource = (MapPath("items1.xsl"))

Wow, thanks for the info. I'll give it a try, and I'll let you know how it works for me:)