mysql_query, non error?

zimmy52420

I know absolutely NOTHING about MySQL, other than the fact it is a database, and I'm using PHP to connect to it, it could be that I'm a complete idiot, (Could be, I am!) and this is what mysql_query's supposed to produce, or it could be that I'm still a complete idiot, and there's a problem with my code

<?phpmysql_connect('host', 'user', 'pass') or die( "Error #1 - Couldn't connect to Server");mysql_select_db('db') or die( "Error #2 - Couldn't connect to Database");$query="SELECT * FROM table";$result=mysql_query($query) or die( "Error #3 - Couldn't collect Table Data");mysql_close;echo $result;?>

Obviously, I've done the obvious and set host user pass etc. etc. But whenever I run the script I get the following output.Resource id #3This doesn't seem to be an error to me, due to the 'die' bits, and it looks nothing like a PHP default error to me, now someone can come along and point out what I've done wrong. ;pThanks in advance

Its up to you but instead of using a die() with your own message you should use mysql_error() so you know a better detail of what the problem is something like this

<?php$con = mysql_connect("localhost", "username", "password");if(!$con){ die( mysql_error() ); }mysql_select_db("the_db", $con);$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `no_value`", $con) or die( mysql_error() );while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){$var = $row['column_1'];echo $var;}mysql_close($con);?>

MySQL query returns a resource ID which you can pass into other mysql functions like mysql_num_rows and mysql_fetch_assoc. also, mysql_close is a function, and you need to specify a variable. kinda like what mihalism posted, its just a safety practice just in case your server and MySQL are weird like that.Other than that, good job.