Small AVG Question

royteusink

Hi all,I've got a small Access SQL question. I need to order my output by the AVG(SUM of multiple fields)Something like this, but this doesn't work:

SELECT * FROM Reportings WHERE Year = '2006' ORDER BY AVG(WorkspecPoint+ToolboxPoint+NearmissPoint) DESC

Does anyone of you guys have any idea how to solve this? Much Grasias,Roy Teusink

try this, it appears that what you are trying is taking ht eaverage of those columns for the entire table not on a row by row basis.

If you want row by row averages try this:select (col1+col2+col3)/3 from table;If you wnat to average several columns over the whole table this seems towork:select avg(col1+col2+col3) from table;
so giving it another go this should work.
SELECT * FROM Reportings WHERE Year = '2006' ORDER BY (WorkspecPoint+ToolboxPoint+NearmissPoint)/3 DESC

providing all 3 columns are numeric

try this:

SELECT AVG(WorkspecPoint + ToolboxPoint + NearmissPoint) FROM Reportings WHERE Year = '2006' ORDER BY AVG(WorkspecPoint + ToolboxPoint + NearmissPoint)  DESC

Remember that when you use aggregate functions, you cannot use select *, you need to do a group by for each field that is not using an aggregate function, ex:

SELECT AVG(WorkspecPoint + ToolboxPoint + NearmissPoint) ,YearFROM Reportings GROUP BY YearORDER BY Year DESC, AVG(WorkspecPoint + ToolboxPoint + NearmissPoint)