css on multiple browsers

Guest sunsetsong

Guest sunsetsong

Hi all,I always create my sites using IE making sure they display properly then when I'm done, test in Firefox etc and lo and behold they always look wrong!! I obviously need to concentrate more on cross browser compatibility.My question is - should I concentrate on making the same page work well on all browsers or should I add the code to find out which browser the user is using and then have a seperate page for each. If this is the case, how do I do that?!? Also, which browsers are absolutely necesary for sites to work in?Also, if my website passes the css validation, does that mean its ok for all browsers?Thanks in advance for any answers.

i've been told to code for firefox, then tweak for explorer, and that has always served me well.coding for explorer only will cause the other browsers to produce an ugly site, because of the horrible way explorer renders css, and ie6's lack of support of css2, let alone css3, whereas all other modern browsers render css2, not sure about css3 though.if your css is valid, then you're already half way there in making css that works well in all browsers. Just need some practise in coding for real browsers rather than explorer :) :):)

In addition to what real_illusions said, in order to "tweak for IE", use conditional comments rather then CSS hacks.this topic will also provide you with some resources that might help you get a quicker start.