Content Text From Outside Source?

LifeInBinary

In order to allow someone who is not familiar with HTML to be able to easily edit the content of a website that I have designed for them, is there a way to tell the HTML document to retrieve text from an external .txt document?For example:<html><head><title>Whatever.</title></head><body>get from="privacypolicy.txt"</body></html>Something to that effect?That way I could present a client with an easy-to-understand filetree such as this:WebsiteCode (Contains actual HTML files)Images (Contains image files)Content (Contains text files that can easily be edited by non-programmers)

This isn't really an answer to your question, but if you are trying to teach someone then perhaps you could add comments into the HTML code like this:<!-- Hello -->You could then have these where ever you needed them for the person who you are trying to teach?

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I could use something to the effect of this:<!--BEGIN PRIVACY CONTENT-->blah, blah, blah...<!--END PRIVACY CONTENT-->I was just wondering if there was a way to devote specific text from an outside file. I don't actually have anyone that needs this yet, I'm just getting into web design and I thought that it would be very handy in terms of "ease of use" down the road for potential clients.Thank you so much for answering my question though. I suppose that comments will have to do...

There is no way to do this with plain HTML.In the near future, when XHTML and XInclude are more supported, you'll be able to do this and it will work in all XHTML enabled browsers.For now, the only thing you can do is to use server side includes (or SSIs in short). They come in different flavors, depending on the language you choose. Be it PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion, etc.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I could use something to the effect of this:<!--BEGIN PRIVACY CONTENT-->blah, blah, blah...<!--END PRIVACY CONTENT-->I was just wondering if there was a way to devote specific text from an outside file. I don't actually have anyone that needs this yet, I'm just getting into web design and I thought that it would be very handy in terms of "ease of use" down the road for potential clients.Thank you so much for answering my question though. I suppose that comments will have to do...
No problem, glad I could help :)