Best place to start?

Guest swhalen

Guest swhalen

Greeting folks. First, I have been using the w3schools tutorials for about a month now. I am fairly familiar with HTML, XHTML, CSS. The fols at w3schools have done a great job with thier tutorials. Thanks.I need to put a MS Access database on a server with IIS then add and retrieve data to the database. Is ASP the best place start? If so, is it better to program ASP in VBScript or JavaScript. I'm just trying to get started in the right direction. :) Thanks for your help.swhalen

It depends, you need to download the asp stuff so you can use it on the server. And set it up, etc.. Plus less and less people are using asp. The biggest server side language right now is PHP. So you would be better off using that, you would have alot more support (especially here at this forum, not too many people use ASP). And any server side language can connect with any database. Its your choice, I would say go with PHP. But whatever you want!

It depends, you need to download the asp stuff so you can use it on the server. And set it up, etc..
Scince (s)he has IIS already, (s)he already has ASP as well. ASP is bundled with IIS. Only .NET isn't, but the only thing needed for it is the .NET framework, which can be downloaded for free at Microsoft's site and installed with a nice installer.
Plus less and less people are using asp. The biggest server side language right now is PHP. So you would be better off using that, you would have alot more support (especially here at this forum, not too many people use ASP).
That's not entirely true. Maybe at W3Schools there are more people fluent in PHP and I guess there are a lot of communities for PHP, but if you go to any ASP(.NET) community, I can bet all of their members are going to make PHP look like unpopular. The same applies for every other server side scripting language, be it Cold Fusion, Perl, Python, JSP, etc.
I need to put a MS Access database on a server with IIS then add and retrieve data to the database.
You mean "to put MS Access database on an IIS server and then retrive data from the database", right? Because you may also "add data to the database".In PHP, you have the ODBC, but for ASP, there's ADO.