Quoting inline text, issue

zaniac

Hey all!In my efforts to learn (X)HTML, I have come acroos a section regarding how to make inline quotes using the <q> & </q> elements. However when I try to use it in a paragraph it does not seem to work. Below is an quick example, I have just added the quotes into random locations:

-------------------------------------------------------

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional!//EN""http://www.3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><title>My first attempt-aha!!!</title></head><body>p><span class="name">Andrea</span> has this weird idea that she is fat. <q>I don't know how she came to this conclusion/result</q>, but by viewing photos of her (dated before 14/11/06), one can clearly see that her idea that she is fat, is all in her head. <q>In her desperate efforts to become stick-thin around the waist she is having an operation.</q></P> </body></html>

-------------------------------------------------------

Where am I going wrong? Why are the inline quotes not coming up? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

lol. I used to use that, until I found out that it doesn't work on all the browsers, which is probably what you're talking about. Just use the regular quotation marks or the html element ", it does the same thing.

lol. I used to use that, until I found out that it doesn't work on all the browsers, which is probably what you're talking about. Just use the regular quotation marks or the html element ", it does the same thing.
Hey, thanks mate. Lol, of course the '&quot' element :) I'll try to think a little more before I jump the gun and ask. So the <q> element does not work on all browsers, I guess there is no point in using it then.

If you are quoting something, I recommend that you usee a paragraph, because you can set loads of really cool things. Check out the code that I am using on my guestbook...

<p style="background: #fcfbff; border: 1px dashed silver; padding: 8px; font-family: Arial"><em>Depressingly Necessary Privacy Policy:</em><br />Your privacy is always important and because we know it is so important any of your details will never be given out to any third parties or sold to anyone, for more information on this matter please visit our <a href="privacypolicy.html">Privacy Policy</a>.</p>

I sopose it isn't a quote, but you could easily change it to one, for easy viewing, follow the link below:Click Here

Hi guys, many thanks for the extra help, I've read the links and am now getting a better idea. :) I originally just sat in front of my computer, completely clueless as to why the <q> element was not functioning correctly. Now I know though :)