Need some more help with recursive function

dhimo

Hello there. I have this recursive function which lists all categories and subcategories from the database. I have three fields.category_id, category_name and parent_id. Top category holds parent_Id = 0 while subcategories get the id from their parent. Here s the functions. Justsomeguy helped me with this and he probably will again :)

<?phpfunction listCategory($parent = 0, $level = 0){   // where parent of 0 means it's top-level   $retval = "";   $indent = "<br />";   for ($i=0; $i<$level; $i++) $indent .= "     ";		   $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM categories WHERE parent_id='$parent'");   while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))  {		extract($row);		$retval .= $indent . "<a href=\"?c=$category_id\">" . $category_name . "</a>";		$retval .= listCategory($category_id, intval($level) + 1);   }   return $retval;}?>

As the function is it lists all categories and subcategories. I want to list only top categories which have parent_id = 0 and I want to get appropriate children after getting the querystring as u can see above in the code.I want to mention to justsomeguy that his help is very appriciated and the reason i am posting a new thread is that is faster to get a response then paging to the prieviews threads which are far behind

Simply remove the call to itself to only get the direct children to $parent. You don't need $level this way. You'll then have this:

<?phpfunction listCategory($parent = 0){   // where parent of 0 means it's top-level   $retval = "";   $indent = "<br />";   for ($i=0; $i<$level; $i++) $indent .= "     ";		   $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM categories WHERE parent_id='$parent'");   while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))  {		extract($row);		$retval .= $indent . "<a href=\"?c=$category_id\">" . $category_name . "</a>";   }   return $retval;}?>

Then, to get the children of the id in the query string, just call the function with it as a parameter, i.e:

<?	listCategory($_GET['c']);?>