Columns start disapearing on browser resize

Actress

Ok here's my problem:I am making a single html page with a table that has a width of 96%.That table is divided in 3 columns and 3 rows, so I could add on the background some images to act as a frame, like a frame of a painting or so. So the first and third columns have to have exactly 27px wide and tall. The same with the first and third rows.So far so good, because when the browser window is maximized, the table shows perfectly and everything is in place. But when I reduce the browser's width, the first and third columns start getting thinner until they disappear as I resize the browser, showing only the second row.Here's the code of the table:

<table border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="height:696px; width:96%">
and the code of the first row:
<tr> <td background="imagens/cse.gif" width="27" height="27"></td> <td background="imagens/cima.gif"></td> <td background="imagens/csd.gif" width="27"></td></tr>
I even tried to add style="min-width:27px; max-width:27px;" to the first and third columns to see if it worked, but it stays the same.Does anyone know how to overcome this? I would really appreciate any help! Thanks!

if you were viewing it is IE it had no chance of working since IE doesn't recognize min-width or max-width;Did you try style="width:27px;height:27px" ?
I usually try everything I do on IE, FF and now on Opera... And in all cases the columns start disapearing when I resize the browser...And yes, I tried that option too... Nothing seems to work... :)

can you post the whole code?
Ok, this is the code for the entire table
<table border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="height:696px; width:96%">  <tr>	<td background="imagens/cse.gif" style="width:27px; height:27px;"></td>	<td background="imagens/cima.gif"></td>	<td background="imagens/csd.gif" style="width:27px"></td>  </tr>  <tr>	<td background="imagens/esquerda.gif"> </td>	<td valign="top" background="imagens/conteudos.gif">	<!--this is an extra table where I put my page contents-->	<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="height:100%; width:100%">	  <tr>		<td style="width:210px"><!--a logo img--></td>		<td align="center"> <!--banner--></td>	  </tr>	  <tr>		<td valign="top" style="width:210px"> <!--here goes a swf menu--><br /></td>		<td valign="top"><!--an iframe goes here--></td>	  </tr>	</table></td>	<td background="imagens/direita.gif"> </td>  </tr>  <tr>	<td background="imagens/cie.gif" height="27"> </td>	<td background="imagens/baixo.gif"> </td>	<td background="imagens/cid.gif"></td>  </tr></table>

<td background="imagens/cse.gif" style="width:27px; height:27px;"></td>

Columns like this are your problem. You must have content in a cell or the style will not apply. Place & nbsp; (minus the space) into every empty <td>

<td background="imagens/cse.gif" style="width:27px; height:27px;"></td>

Columns like this are your problem. You must have content in a cell or the style will not apply. Place & nbsp; (minus the space) into every empty <td>

Hmmmm, I see... The space didn't work, but I got the point. Instead of putting the corner images as background, I placed them as images and it worked! They no longer disappear!The best thing about this was I understand what I was doing wrong...Thanks a lot! :)