JavaScript help

houssam_ballout

Hello all, can some body explain, how this code works/ (more on var x)thanks<script type="text/javascript">var xvar mycars = new Array()mycars[0] = "Saab"mycars[1] = "Volvo"mycars[2] = "BMW"for (x in mycars){document.write(mycars[x] + "<br />")}</script>
Do you know how for loops work? The equivilant of that is this:<script type="text/javascript">mycars=new Array()mycars[0]="Saab"mycars[1]="Volvo"mycars[2]="BMW"for(x=0;x<mycars.length;x++) { document.write(mycars[x] + "<br />")}</script>The first loop (not mine, the one part of the W3S tutorial) is a simplified way to loop through the contents of an array and access them through array[var], where in this case, var is x. :)

Do you know how for loops work? The equivilant of that is this:<script type="text/javascript">mycars=new Array()mycars[0]="Saab"mycars[1]="Volvo"mycars[2]="BMW"for(x=0;x<mycars.length;x++) { document.write(mycars[x] + "<br />")}</script>The first loop (not mine, the one part of the W3S tutorial) is a simplified way to loop through the contents of an array and access them through array[var], where in this case, var is x. :)
The for..in version also seems to be a lot less strict. I typed in
<html><body><script type="text/javascript">var xvar mycars = new Array()mycars[2] = "BMW"mycars[0] = "Saab"for (x in mycars){document.write(mycars[x] + "<br />")}</script></body></html>

and it spit outBMWSaabjust in the order I typed them above, while the for loop version would not tolerate this and would spit outSaabundefinedBMWlining them up numerically and taking note of the fact that 1 is missing from the array. So the for..in version seems a lot more lienient. Are there any other differences?PS: Um... why aren't the BB tags for posting code snippets working?

PS: Um... why aren't the BB tags for posting code snippets working?
I think you put [\code] rather than [/code].The for-in loops appear to iterate through all the elements of an object whereas the typical for loops iterate using in indexer (typically it's called "i") like in Chocolate570's example.In the try-it example (http://www.w3schools.com/js/tryit.asp?filename=tryjs_array_for_in), the x takes on the value of 0 in the first loop, 1 in the second, and 2 in the third as it iterates through the array.However, like ViolaGirl mentioned, if you had this:
var xvar mycars = new Array()mycars[0] = "Saab"mycars[2] = "BMW"mycars[1] = "Volvo"for (x in mycars){document.write(mycars[x] + "<br />")}

The first time through the loop, x would be 0, the second time it would be 2, and the third time it would be 1.