Question about variables, and braces

ownage

:) i have a variable which is global, not in any funtions or whateva, straight at the top of the page. this is saved in a external file with a function. the page that is linked to this js page should onload open a function inside the external script and open a prompt box which then stores the input into my variable, then i want to use the variable input in another function which uses if etc,i have this code in my html page<code><body onclose="chooseme(a)" onload="prompta(a)"></code>this in my external file for prompta, i want to have the input sent to the global variable a in the end and im not sure how to do this and i think x=a isnt working ..., in c++ you use a ampersand before it and any modifications that are done get applied to that variable directly, its called passing the variable by refference, so function my(&x) would make all changes made to x in the function happen to the variable that was sent to it. <code>function prompta(x){x = prompt("What is the Password","get it right ")return x=a}</code>can some one tell me if this is correct, im wondering if you need to have {} around the statement after the if, and else if and else, you have to in c++ if u have more than one statement,<code>function chooseme(a){if(a="pword") closealert(a)else if(a="pword2") closealert2(a)elsedocument.write("<br /><br /><style="align: center">you have not got access =P</style>")}</code>variable is stated at top as<code>var a</code>i could have played around with my assumptions to see if it worked but i don't know if thats the error.im doubting the ability of external scripts...

can some one tell me if this is correct, im wondering if you need to have {} around the statement after the if, and else if and else, you have to in c++ if u have more than one statement,
Javascript works the same way - the following are equivalent:
if(x == "test")	alert(x);

if(x == "test"){	alert(x);}

Like C# (and I assume C++) you only need to use the braces if you have more than one statement in the if. But, like aspnetguy pointed out, you have to use == (equivalancy operator) rather than = (assignment operator).