XML Languages

alexAAA

Hello!I'm working on a portfolio on XML languages and want to include some thoughts of users about those languages such as RSS,SVG, SMIL and so on. Are there any websites I can read upon opinions related to those topics. Maybe some thought about the how those languages will do in the future. Thank you!

SMIL is a microsoft technology and isn't going to go far, I wouldn't look too deep into it, HTML with Javascript does the job much better. RSS is a good thing to have on your site, but more popular these days is "share" buttons, so I think RSS is becoming obsolete. SVG is the most portable form of vector graphics at the moment, but it's not really used on the web; Flash and HTML canvas perform the interactive parts of SVG much better.

Fox, Speaking of "share" button(s), what is the route that most developers do in order to accomplish this? I basically see this with facebook but I'm not much of a user of facebook to really know how it works. In other words, I never really clicked on any share buttons anywhere. I just noticed them on the forums here and most go to social media websites, is this the "share" you're referring to? I take it the social media sites supply information for you on how to set up the 'share' buttons for your site for example? Thanks.

A share button is just a link (<a> element) to one of the social media websites. It has a query string with the URL of the current page in it. Right at the bottom of this thread you can see the share buttons for this topic.Each site has its own sharing format, I'm sure you can see the information for the site on their own page. Here's an example of the facebook share link

http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=(url here)