Relationship diagrams

Guest FirefoxRocks

Guest FirefoxRocks

Can anyone recommend a script to draw a tree diagram? I have browsed through quite a few, but I need one that can draw nodes with more than one parent.

As soon as a node has more than one parent, the structure is no longer a tree (at least when it comes to computer terms). I can't think of any applications that would do what you're asking at the moment, though there probably are some programs specialized in making diagrams.

Guest FirefoxRocks

Ok, I need a script to draw hierarchical diagrams, or whatever the appropriate term is. Currently I'm using a desktop software, yEd Graph Editor, to generate the diagram, and then exporting it as a PNG and/or SVG file, and uploading it, but I would like to have a PHP script so that it can be more flexible and less work.

Hierarchical diagrams still can't have more than one parent... that would just be weird. Maybe you are thinking of a graph?

Can anyone recommend a script to draw a tree diagram? I have browsed through quite a few, but I need one that can draw nodes with more than one parent.
Can you not turn the tree upside down?Roddy

Like Ingolme pointed out, technically this is not a tree. This is a tree:

Mathematically, it is a tree, more specifically an arborescence: an acyclic connected graph where each node has zero or more children nodes and at most one parent node.
You are talking about a directed graph, not a tree.Are you saying that you want an algorithm that can graphically lay out and draw any directed graph? We've actually got a job in house now where drawing things like that is part of the software. Even though we're doing it in Java, I think we still estimated 400 hours to get the drawing components finished. If you find a good layout algorithm, let me know.

Archived