difference between reload and refresh?

niche

What can be generally said about the difference between reloading a page (ie header()) and simply pressing the refresh button?

The use of the terms is a bit sloppy, but just telling the browser to load a page again (e.g. through a loopback redirection) will cause it to fetch as many resources as it can from the cache, but if the client invokes a refresh/reload, all cached resources are cleared and downloaded again. Note that in many browsers, just pressing "refresh" actually just loads the page again, and there is another command for a true cache-clearing refresh.

What terms would you use instead of refresh and reload?What's the command for true cache-clearing?

Uh, "load again" and "refresh" I suppose :).On Firefox I believe the hotkey is Ctrl + F5. Chrome refreshes the cache when you press refresh (but not if you go to the address bar and press Enter).

I'd use the terms "user refresh" and "header refresh" - you're still doing a page refresh, but the difference is where it is initiated from.CTRL+F5 is a universal combo across all desktop browsers for "Refresh with cache disabled". Different browsers behave in all sorts of strage ways depending on the other ways users do a user refresh, but a header refresh usually involves a refresh with enabled cache.

Thanks for everyone's help especially to Haris S, Synook and boen_robot. I realized that I was taking for granted a user's action when they and needed to ask if there was a difference between user refresh and header refresh.Niche

Archived