New Site

roundcorners

hey man, looks really good. Although a couple validation errors but other than that the design looks really nice. One thing, you know how how you have 4 boxes up in the left corner, one of them being big and orange? Maybe it would be cool (since you have 4 nav links) to make the appropriate box turn big and orange as you visit respect nav items (going from left to right). Merely a brain bubble, but other than that, looks really good. Actually, I was thinking, perhaps it would be proper to put the majority of your display:inlink-block explanation on your blog page, and reserve more of the home page for self-promotion, explanation; concise and to the point. I like the name of your site.

• 2 weeks later...
.........Only porblem I can see is I am getting a horizontal scrollbar on IE7 with 1024x768 resolution.
I don't know if this will help you or not as far as sizing content for your pages, but I was playing around with a size guide idea.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><html><head>  <title>pixel test page</title>  <style type="text/css">#body{            border: 0;            background-color: #ccffff;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            font-family: Comic Sans MS;            color: white;  }    #a1010{            background-color: black;            position: absolute;            width: 1010px;            height: 20px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 20px;            left: 0;            text-align: center;  }    #a800{            background-color: red;            position: absolute;            width: 800px;            height: 20px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 60px;            left: 0;            text-align: center;  }    #a700{            background-color: blue;            position: absolute;            width: 700px;            height: 20px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 100px;            left: 0;            text-align: center;  }    #a600{            background-color: green;            position: absolute;            width: 600px;            height: 20px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 140px;            left: 0;            text-align: center;  }    #a500{            background-color: #000099;            position: absolute;            width: 500px;            height: 20px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 180px;            left: 0;            text-align: center;  }    #a400{            background-color: purple;            position: absolute;            width: 400px;            height: 20px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 220px;            left: 0;            text-align: center;  }  #a300{            background-color: orange;            position: absolute;            width: 300px;            height: 20px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 260px;            left: 0;            text-align: center;  }    #a200{            background-color: #ff00ff;            position: absolute;            width: 200px;            height: 20px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 300px;            left: 0;            text-align: center;  }    #a100{            background-color: #000080;            position: absolute;            width: 100px;            height: 20px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 340px;            left: 0;            text-align: center;  }    #a50{            background-color: #660033;            position: absolute;            width: 50px;            height: 20px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 380px;            left: 0;            text-align: center;  }    #b580{            background-color: #003333;            position: absolute;            width: 20px;            height: 580px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 0;            left: 950px;            text-align: center;  }    #b290{            background-color: #339933;            position: absolute;            width: 20px;            height: 290px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 0;            left: 900px;            text-align: center;  }    #b145{            background-color: #990000;            position: absolute;            width: 20px;            height: 145px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 0;            left: 850px;            text-align: center;  }    #text{            background-color: purple;            position: absolute;            width: 300px;            height: 125px;            padding: 0;            margin: 0;            top: 350px;            left: 450px;            text-align: center;  }  </style></head><body id="body"><div id="a1010">1010px</div><div id="a800">800px</div><div id="a700">700px</div><div id="a600">600px</div><div id="a500">500px</div><div id="a400">400px</div><div id="a300">300px</div><div id="a200">200px</div><div id="a100">100px</div><div id="a50">50px</div><div id="b580">5<br />8<br />0<br />p<br />x</div><div id="b290">2<br />9<br />0<br />p<br />x</div><div id="b145">1<br />4<br />5<br />p<br />x</div><div id="text"><br />Sample page<br />for<br />pixel sizes.</div></body></html>

It shows examples of different sizes in pixels so you can see where it is on your screen.By using this, you can (hopefully) avoid the horizontal scroll bars.I hope it helps.......

Thanks for your suggestion, is that your own grid system? I have fixed the scrollbar for the most part. For the time being I have declared overflow-x:hidden on the html element, a bit hacky however.Because the layout if flexible I am using a combination of percentages and relative font-sizes. IE has a problem calculating floating points and I am yet to master exactly how it does it.I feel compelled to tell you that you that those id's would be better served as classes and all class names should be semantic or it's as bad as using inline styles.However, thank you for your suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if there was a way to make the "round corners" work in IE, but after visiting your site with IE8 I see that there isn't, yet.(It would be nice if Fire Fox would become the standard......)

I was wondering if there was a way to make the "round corners" work in IE, but after visiting your site with IE8 I see that there isn't, yet.(It would be nice if Fire Fox would become the standard......)
Microsoft is like the rebellious older kid.

Remember that Firefox just follows the standards, along with most other browsers (and unlike IE...) - it was IE trying to make its own standards back in the old* days that caused a lot of this trouble.* i.e. when Netscape was still a viable competitor

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely loathe white text on dark/black backgrounds with the white-hot intensity of 1000 suns! It makes my eyes hurt. This causes me to leave the site immediately. And I'm only saying this because I know I'm not the only one. Just something to consider.

• 3 months later...

I love the design looks great I like how you use blue black and white. and the links at the top corner and really nve. i like how they stand out but dont ruin the visual center. only one problem!i dont like the look of the Menu hover, id prefer just having the text go bold or white. that isnt an issue . but i dont like the little border thing going on. dont get me wrong its fantastic job. but the menu hover is a bit confussing. like it looks like you needed something to go there so you did that quickly. but thats all.fantastic job. keep on keepin' on. - Attila2452

Archived