w3.css needs javascript, breaks accessibility

philmck

The intro to w3.css says "Uses standard CSS only (No jQuery or JavaScript library)" which is technically true but a bit misleading. Javascript must be enabled in the user's browser in order to use useful features like modal popups.

What's the big deal? Someone might create a website using a modal popup for users to register or purchase things, only to find that visitors using screen readers because they're visually impaired can no longer participate or buy things. So the site is no longer fully accessible, which is illegal in some countries and some class action lawsuits have already happened.

I'm not saying features that use scripting aren't useful, but they should come with a big accessibility health warning to remind developers to include alternative ways to access things. It's easy to forget because most development is done with scripting enabled.

Edited by philmck

As far as the framework goes, W3.CSS just uses CSS. All the Javascript in the examples is added in separately from the library. I would assume people realize they're using Javascript when they start putting <script> tags on the page and copying Javascript code from the examples.

I do think it's very important to teach new developers about accessibility and to provide a non-Javascript fallback when writing Javascript code, but I don't think it's necessary to put a warning about it in every single tutorial page that shows Javascript in it.

Accessibility is not required by law except in government websites and banks or similar institutions.