Jump to content
chob1234

Error Handling Help

Recommended Posts

I am needing to convert an String input into an Integer.  But before converting the String input, i have to do a validation that the String input can be converted to a numeric value. So If it cannot, i need to log a message saying “This cannot”.  Then log another new log statement on the next line saying “be a number”. I understand I need a parseInt and isNan and if else statements but I am confused on exactly how they are implemented. I am new to javascript. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could create a function to check if the number can be converted.

function isNumeric(n) {
  return !isNaN(parseFloat(n)) && isFinite(n);
}

Then all you need to do is

if(isNumeric(someNumber)) {
  //You have a number
} else {
  //You don't have a number
}

Implement parseInt as required.

Use console.log as specified in your post.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Funce said:

You could create a function to check if the number can be converted.


function isNumeric(n) {
  return !isNaN(parseFloat(n)) && isFinite(n);
}

Then all you need to do is


if(isNumeric(someNumber)) {
  //You have a number
} else {
  //You don't have a number
}

Implement parseInt as required.

Use console.log as specified in your post.

So I came up with this:

function isNumeric(string) {
  return !isNaN(parseInt(string)) && isFinite(string);
}

if(isNumeric(parseInt <= 10000)) {
  //You have a number
logger.debug("You have a number")

} else {
  //You don't have a number
  logger.debug("This cannot be a number")
}

It only outputs "This cannot be a number"

What am I doing wrong?

I am logging in Thingworx so that is where the logger.debug is coming from.

Edited by chob1234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if(isNumeric(parseInt <= 10000)) {

What exactly are you trying to do there?  parseInt is a function, why are you trying to check if a function is less than or equal to 10000?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, justsomeguy said:

 


if(isNumeric(parseInt <= 10000)) {

 

What exactly are you trying to do there?  parseInt is a function, why are you trying to check if a function is less than or equal to 10000?

Yeah I am not sure exactly, I guess the goal is to convert the string input to an int, but confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, chob1234 said:

Yeah I am not sure exactly, I guess the goal is to convert the string input to an int, but confused.

Got it all working now, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...