AHTMLPad

Elevator_Hazard

I like small editors with not a ton of buttons around the source viewing like ms notepad. Now that I see yours maybe I will replace notepad with AHTMLPad.

:) I'm so flattered! Thanks, its nice to see someone likes this! On autohotkey forums I haven't gotten much feedback except for "why didn't you just..." stuff, which does help me, but none of them bothered to try it. Also I meant to release this yesterday on these forums but I suddenly had to get off the computer.Thanks.

Not bad. Not bad at all. In comparison to what you previously had, this seems marvelous. Or so I gather from the screen shot. I'll later be able to check it out.I have to ask though. Is there a window/menu for adjusting the HTML2txt behavior? You know, allow preserving of line breaks (instead of converting them to <br />), maybe even an option to convert ALL characters to entities, rather then only the special ones and maybe some more. Oh, and what about the reverse option? txt2HTML.... that will convert entities to their character equivalents (turn < to <), etc.

Well what I had done for the html2txt was use the transform command with html as one parameter, I don't think the opposite is supported in autohotkey, so that would be really hard to make all the conversions from html to text (like a lot of Regular Expressions, they are wonderful but sometimes hard to make).

Ok. I've checked it out. Here are a few suggestions based on first impression (not in any particular order):

1. Where did the templates go? I actually liked that feature.
  2. No installer again... hm... if you won't make one, want me to finally make a simple one for you?
  3. The navigation keys on the tabs don't work, or so it seems. Clicking on it should move the focus on the respected file (as if you click on it).
  4. Is a drag&drop on the tabs for movements' sake (as in browsers) doable? It would be nice if there is such a thing, though I don't personally use it often.
  5. I think you should stretch the about box a bit to make the word "forums" fit on one line with the rest. When I first saw it, I thought you had a topic for this app that was shown there (being invisible) and I started clicking and all. Finding that's not the case was dissapointing.
  6. How exactly do you close a tab? Right click doesn't have a close button, and it should. If the file is not saved, it should promt for saving. Remember, "Yes" must stand for "Save", "No" for "don't save" and "Cancel" for "don't close now". I'm saying this so you don't switch the semantics again.
  7. When the program is closed, it should promt for saving each unsaved file.
  8. The syntax highlighting seems to break after using HTMLTidy.
  9. Could you possibly allow a change of the FTP port on connection (do keep the default to 21 of course)?
  10. On the FTP client, instead of "File", "URL" and "Domain name" I suggest "Local path", "Remote path" and "Server" respectively. It just makes more sence (to me at least), though technically speaking, indeed a local path is a file path and a remote path is a URL (a relative one in your case btw).
  11. Undo/Redo seem to be doable with key combos (CTRL+Z/CTRL+Y). That's good to know. But respective menu items should also be available.
  12. Revert?
  13. What encoding do you use to read files? A file created in Dreamwaver that contains Cyrilic craracters produces... well... other characters when viewed in AHTMLPad. Whatever encoding you use (ANSI, UTF-8, Unicode, whatever), you should somehow try to detect the encoding of the file being opened and use it if such information is fetchable.
  14. Any chance for any auto complete? I never liked your previous implementation, but at least it was something.

That's enough for now. Nice job with the syntax highlighting and line numbers.

I have added an installer, and I'm working on your wonderful but extensive suggestions/reports/other stuff :) . But please remember that all of the program's gui (window) except for menu and caption is part of the HiEdit control which was not made by me. That would include the tabs and such. Thanks for the feedback and expect another version some time in the [hopfully] near future. PS: Also that program detects whether or not an update is available on the program and if so it will tell you and you can go to the website to download the new version.

1. The navigation keys on the tabs don't work, or so it seems. Clicking on it should move the focus on the respected file (as if you click on it).

I cancel that. They work. It's just that they are made to move the view when there are more tabs opened then the screen can display.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Let's clean up what's completed and see what's left:

1. Is a drag&drop on the tabs for movements' sake (as in browsers) doable? It would be nice if there is such a thing, though I don't personally use it often.
  2. I think you should stretch the about box a bit to make the word "forums" fit on one line with the rest. When I first saw it, I thought you had a topic for this app that was shown there (being invisible) and I started clicking and all. Finding that's not the case was dissapointing.
  3. The syntax highlighting seems to break after using HTMLTidy.
  4. Revert?
  5. What encoding do you use to read files? A file created in Dreamwaver that contains Cyrilic craracters produces... well... other characters when viewed in AHTMLPad. Whatever encoding you use (ANSI, UTF-8, Unicode, whatever), you should somehow try to detect the encoding of the file being opened and use it if such information is fetchable.
  6. Any chance for any auto complete? I never liked your previous implementation, but at least it was something.

OK. I guess 1 is not doable as you haven't created the tabs, but rather used a premade... um... plug-in or... whatever... for it. I guess that would also be the reason why you couldn't add a close button when right clicking a tab (oh well, you tried) and 2 was only a personal preference. It doesn't really matter.I do however still support the rest. In addition:

1. The reason why 3 (in the previous list) seems to occur (at least in 1.1... I don't rember 1.0) is because Tidy is outputted to a new file with no extension. I think you should write the new (temporary?) file with whatever the extension of the original file was.
  2. New files should assume some extension for syntax highlighting's sake. Ideally, that extension should be adjustable on creation and/or from a new window for such settings.
  3. Rember the old bug when you selected the "Insert Color" menu and click "Cancel" and got #-1? Well, it's back.
  4. When there's nothing highlighted, the HTML2txt writes whatever is in the clipboard as escaped HTML. I don't think this should be allowed. Instead, simply disable the HTML2txt menu item when there's nothing highlighted. Alternatively, add a new option (ideally on right clicking the main window) that would explicitly escape whatever is in the clipboard at that time and paste it. Perhaps call it "HTML2txt clipboard" or "Paste HTML2txt".
  5. A certain weird square appears at the FTP window and the Create/Delete Template windows.
  6. Could you possibly add HTML2txt in the context menu (right mouse click) when over highlighted text in the main window?
  7. Does Tidy provide any way to adjust it's options? If so, could you offer some sort of "Settings" window for them? One that interests me in particular is the auto identation. I prefer a tab then two spaces.
  8. Word Wrap?
  9. Using HTML2txt on a certain file I have, I noticed carrige returns are also created as a square having "CR" in it. While this is somehow nice, I'd like not to see those characters all the time. Any change you could create an option for hiding/showing all control characters such as NLs, CRs and others (the way Dreamwaver for example allows it)?

Oh, and btw, thanks for pointing me out on the site :) . But really... don't you get other reviews as well? I mean, this is pretty nice editor and I at least like to critisize things I like or at least see potential in (I'm just a Virgo... haha) :) .

Archived