PHP Auth

jblack

Ok, so I want to know how I would use a person's recorded IP address with $REMOTE_ADDR to authenticate in cooperation with sessions. I know how to insert data and update with php into Mysql databases, but how would I auth people based on their IP recorded in the database?

if you want to simply, compare the two to ensure you have the right person: save the IP in the database, when they register or something, then use a select statment to verify it's the same.you can then save that in a session - and as the user cannot modify the sessions themselves, it's secure enough to compare in the future - saving time.

Keep in mind that IP addresses can change if a person is assigned a dynamic IP address each time s/he connects to the Internet or a person uses a different computer to access the site (e.g. home vs. work). Also keep in mind that many organizations are behind proxy servers where all computers in that network share a single external IP address to the Internet. In those instances, you may see multiple people logged into your site from the same IP address using different accounts.