Configuring CMD

Sniffy

I'm not very familiar with DOS commands, but for my Java again, instead of using an IDE I also need to use the Command Prompt for the applet viewer, and so I don't need an IDE.So anyways, how to I access the CMD for a specific directory, or rather, configure it?Like I mean, when I go Start >> Run >> CMD, it automatically chooses D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ATHLON\,how would I change this to I:\Student Disk\?

There was a DOS command to adjust the promt, but I can't remember it right now. Ultimately, you can use a *.bat file and start that file instead of "CMD" every time you need the command promt.The bat file only needs to have theese lines in it:

cd I:\Student Disk\cls

saving this as dos.bat in your system32 folder, you'll only need to type "dos.bat" in the run window.[edit]Well, I think I found the command, but it's not exactly what you want. I was thinking of the Prompt command, but that only changes the appearance of the promt, not the starting path itself.[/edit]

Thanks both.Smiles set me on the right track, I used.

CHDIR I:\Student Disk\

But for some reason the CMD doesn't recognize appletviewer index.html.Is this the correct command?I have java on my computer....

If you want to change the root drive your working in using dosjust the type the drive letter with colon and this will change the root of the working driveso in the original post where:D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ATHLON\is the original starting point just type: "i:" at the end removing the qoutes and the root drive will change.

Also, cd is the command to change a directory.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600](C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.C:\Documents and Settings\steve>p:P:\>cd "!!Generic Flash Models"P:\!!Generic Flash Models>cd game_modelsP:\!!Generic Flash Models\game_models>cd ..P:\!!Generic Flash Models>cd componentsP:\!!Generic Flash Models\components>dir Volume in drive P is Projects_III Volume Serial Number is 075D-8DEF Directory of P:\!!Generic Flash Models\components11/14/2006  02:32 AM	<DIR>		  .01/26/2007  11:26 AM	<DIR>		  ..06/01/2006  10:42 AM			66,390 local_content_updater-windows.zip11/14/2006  08:12 PM	<DIR>		  DavesExporterExtension11/09/2006  01:37 PM			59,328 auto.save1.mxp10/11/2005  04:07 PM		 5,202,077 em_install.exe11/14/2006  02:31 AM	<DIR>		  MentorControl			   3 File(s)	  5,327,795 bytes			   4 Dir(s)  600,691,441,664 bytes freeP:\!!Generic Flash Models\components>

More commands:http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm

God, I'm so stupid in that I suggested a bat file :) .I just saw how you can configure where CMD starts. Simply right click on the shortcut from which you'll execute it and adjust "Srart in" to wherever you want CMD to start in.