layout differences between Safari, Opera and FF

VaporAction

I'm having problems getting my page to display consistently between browsers...it displays perfectly in Firefox, Camino and Netscape, but in Safari the submenu is a little too high and in Opera it's too low...for the submenu (pops up when you roll over the main menu buttons) I'm using relative positioning and negative values for top and left...I don't know if it's some issue related to that?anyway, here's the page, I'd appreciate any ideas as to the problem...http://www.karlyoder.com/wiredchemist2/che...tion_vsepr.html

I think I know why...It might be like that because you use the position tag (CSS), and z-index.And one question, why is it like a really huge gap to the right? I just get a long scrollbar to the right but nothing's there.

I think I know why...It might be like that because you use the position tag (CSS), and z-index.And one question, why is it like a really huge gap to the right? I just get a long scrollbar to the right but nothing's there.
there's going to be a little graphic on the other side, after the NMR button...that should be the only "gap"...the page itself should be centered in the window...what browser were you using?edit: I've been staring at the page for so long, I never noticed the horizontal scroll bar...yeah, wtf? well, now I have a new mystery to solve...

I would set your site up (validated) for Opera. Opera is one of the best standards compliant browsers there is. If your page looks good in Opera, it will look good in Firefox. They are pretty similar. However, I would not worry a whole lot about Opera because it has such a small share of the market in terms of users.Once your site is set up and works in Opera and Firefox the way you want, do a search (here) for "Conditional Comment" hopefully you will come up with a lot of posts from me. That will help you get set up for IE. IE is a whole 'nuther nightmare in itself.The reason you do that is so your code remains clean and not full of hacks to make your pages work correctly in IE.Once you have all 3 browsers just the way you want, chances are pretty high they will render correctly in Safari.Good luck! :)