Link hover affecting paragraph (IE)

Rantzien

http://www.pontushorn.com/new/If you look at that page in Internet Explorer, and hover over a link, it shoves the last line of the previous paragraph and itself a small way to the left, or, if the link is in a paragraph, it displaces the whole paragraph the same way.When I first encountered this, I was completely baffled. I looked around for others having the same problem, and the only thing that seemed vaguely similar was something called the hasLayout problem, but I didn't understand all of it, and moreover, I couldn't find a solution. If I remove all the styling for link elements, the problem disappears.Does anyone have a solution to this problem, or at least a hint as to what the problem is?

I tried it in Opera and IE, but there's no difference.
Are you using Internet Explorer 7? They may have fixed the issue there. The problem for me occurs when I view the page in Internet Explorer 6.0.

I viewed it in IE 6 and was able to duplicate your problem. I, honestly, don't know why it's happening, but I did notice that when I viewed your css file, none of the CRLFs were being recognized correctly when viewed in Notepad. I could tell that there was a character there - the cursor would pause when I used the keyboard to move it over those locations - but it didn't put the text on a new line. Perhaps there is a conflict with the character set used to create the CSS file and IE 6 is having issues with it.Just a guess.

Huh, that's weird. When I open the css file from my computer to Notepad, it shows as usual, but when I open it from the server to Notepad, all line breaks show as square characters. I tried replacing the line breaks in Notepad, but it didn't change. Anyway, I'm not that experienced in the workings of character encodings, so if this may be what's causing the problem, what can be done to solve it?

It sounds like you are using Windows on your own computer (because of Notepad) - is the server Unix/Linux? I've run into a problem in the past (a long time ago, ack!) where when I developed the code on my windows computer and then FTPd it to the Unix server, the CRLF characters weren't working right on the server. It turns out that there was a setting in the FTP program that, when set, would convert those characters to characters that Unix/Linux would understand.As I said, that was a loooong time ago and I don't know if this still applies today. You might look into it though.

Thank you for that, it helped solve the line break problem. I do have Windows on the computer, and a Linux server, so I set FileZilla to transfer css files binary and it worked. This topic's problem wasn't magically fixed though :) If anyone knows or thinks anything about this, I'd appreciate your help.

I've now isolated it to being about background-color. If the link has a background-color on hover or active (likely on the other stages too), it gets displaced at the event in question. This still baffles me, but I will try to find a solution, and if I can't find one I'll work out something else. Thanks for the help I've gotten!Edit: The issue is now resolved. This page could tell me what was happening, and I could sort the rest out.