error reporting won't work

henryhenry

I'm pretty new to this... I have php5 and apache 2 and windows. I use opera but also have ff and ie. Same problem all round...I can get errors to display (only if I set the error reporting level in the script itself) but I can't get syntax errors to display - this is driving me crazy!I have set the level in the php.ini file to E_all. I have display_errors = on. I have checked that all the files are looking in the right places.I think it might be something to do with apache?I really need the syntax errors to show because it is near impossible to write without (as still learning) and it takes forever to find them all when I get a blank screen telling me that there are some ; or } out of place!Can anyone help?Thanks in advance!Henry

Update:I have managed to get phpinfo() to register that I have error_reporting set to STRICT (ie 2048). Still there is no error reporting by default.If anyone knows what this could be please let me know. If anyone else faces this, I found temporary fixes:1. Syntax check from http://www.meandeviation.com/tutorials/lea...ck+another+file2. use the error_reporting(E_ALL) function for other errorsHoping there's a solution :)Henry

If display_errors is on, then it should be showing syntax errors. But make sure that it is set in php.ini, if you use ini_set to set it on a page, and the page has a syntax error, it won't even get executed. But this:

I really need the syntax errors to show because it is near impossible to write without (as still learning) and it takes forever to find them all when I get a blank screen telling me that there are some ; or } out of place!
sounds like it is displaying syntax errors. If you have a syntax error, all you will see on the page is the error message.