calcul error

Matpatnik

Hi guys,I have this little variable that doesn't show up:

$i_size = round($_FILES['image_filename']['size'] / 1024);

I'm trying to echo the $i_size it doesn't work, I tried to echo $i_size without the round() nothing show up and when I echo $_FILES['image_filename']['size'] alone it work!it used to work to control the file size uploadedthank you

now that's weird with this code:

// make sure no one upload over the maximum sizeif ($i_size > $a_maxsize) {	include "include/header.php";	echo "The " . $i_temp . " size is " . $i_size . " kb but the maximum upload size is " . $a_maxsize ." kb.<br>" .		 "Your image is too big by " . ($i_size - $a_maxsize) . " kb. Please reduce the size of that image and try again.";	getfooter($ect);

I got this output!

The Water lilies.jpg size is 82 kb but the maximum upload size is 100 kb.Your image is too big by -18 kb. Please reduce the size of that image and try again.
I don't know what to think about this because it does the calculation now but doesn't respect the if statement!Both variable in the if statement are fine and work properly as it show in the output but it's not supose to echo that because it's smaller so it should skip that part. I don't know if the fact that $a_maxsize is comming from the database change something?Out of subject I got this error very often went going on your site
 The server closed the connection while reading the response. Contact your system administrator.

It doesn't do anthing special only the same message:

The Water lilies.jpg size is 82 kb but the maximum upload size is 100 kb.Your image is too big by -18 kb. Please reduce the size of that image and try again.

Then the IF statement is not being executed for some reason. Is that the exact code you pasted above, did you remove anything from it? Because that code will do exactly what it says - if $i_size is greater then $a_maxsize, then it will display the message. If you are seeing the message display, and $i_size is not greater then $a_maxsize, then the IF condition is not being checked.

here this is from the server:

$i_temp = $_FILES['image_filename']['name'];$i_size = round($_FILES['image_filename']['size'] / 1024);	// make sure no one upload over the maximum sizeif (floatval($i_size) > floatval($a_maxsize)) {	include "include/header.php";	echo "The " . $i_temp . " size is " . $i_size . " kb but the maximum upload size is " . $a_maxsize ." kb.<br>" .		 "Your image is too big by " . ($i_size - $a_maxsize) . " kb. Please reduce the size of that image and try again.";	getfooter($connect);} else {

It's the first statement after the users validation

You probably mean this: :)

echo "<pre>";echo $i_size . "\n";var_dump($i_size);echo "\n" . $a_maxsize . "\n";var_dump($a_maxsize);echo "</pre>";

I figured that you did it very quickly :)there is the result

82float(82)NULLWater lilies.jpg
Why $a_maxsize doesn't appear in the if statement and appear few line after? Edited by Matpatnik

I meant what I wrote, it would have printed the variable names. According to the output, $a_maxsize is null. Anything is greater then a null value. Since the value of $a_maxsize gets printed 2 lines later, chances are that you define it in the included file.

true it's define just after the validation, is there a way to bypass this or I will have to write the function that define the $a_maxsize in every page? because in that function $a_maxsize is a global variable.edited: I changed where the function was called and it seems to be ok now.Thank you

I do the same but I only do that for variable and function that might be reused in other page. All other variable and function stay in there own page.I'm still looking on how to set the structure of the site and I'm getting closer every time :)