help w/ 404's.

cpugeek

i have a server hosted by 1&1; and it has 5 domains associated w/ the one server. anyways i wanted to customize the 404 for each website but it didnt work. because the server has the 404 already set and redirected to the 404 from 1&1. so i was wondering if there is a way to redirect the .htaccess to the 404 for each site.is it possible?

I'm not sure how that host works, but you might want to look in your Hosting Service Control Panel. It is common for providers to define their own customer error pages. I've taken a different approach for my sites. Since I can define the alternate URL for all error messages, I simply have them all point to one page: servererror.cfm. Then, based on the error, I simply add a url query string so it reads servererror.cfm?type=404 or servererror.cfm?type=403. Then I have all my logic on one page to display what I want (I database my message content and query based on error type). Much easier to maintain than 30 some odd pages.On an unrelated note, when you say you have 5 domains pointing to the same server, you mean that you have 5 domain names that point to the same IP address and therefore show the same content? Like domainA.com and domainB.com look the same and have the same content because it is the same code? If so, it is very possible that your site will not be index by search engines. If that is a concern to you, then I've suggest picking a parent domain name and set permanent 301 redirects for the other four.