How to markup math questions?

redfieldleader

I'm not sure what the relationship is between Word and Mathtype, but MathML is commonly used for mathematics markup:http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8Also, if you are trying to save a Word document as a web page, I would be extremely surprised if Word produced something even remotely close to valid XHTML markup.

Also, if you are trying to save a Word document as a web page, I would be extremely surprised if Word produced something even remotely close to valid XHTML markup.
It doesn't. We only use it as a refrence. Will check into MathML. I see Mathtype can export it.Thanks justsomeguy

I'm converting some docs at the moment with lots of math equations. For those that are simple (x = y + z), I simply type them in but for the complex ones I have to use images since typing them could confuse some people. I use Photoshop to crop them out.

For those that are simple (x = y + z), I simply type them in but for the complex ones I have to use images since typing them could confuse some people. I use Photoshop to crop them out.
Yep, print screen doc, paste in Irfanview, crop, save, import to editor. :) I would much rather have the equations in xhtml along with the rest of the question seeing how its still basically text.I think math markup just needs to be more integrated into regular xhtml and be able to be read natively by any browser.I'm a print design guy, whadda I know.It turns out IE would need the MathPlayer plug-in. Unfortunatelyclient wants no plug-ins, otherwise would have just made PDFs.

how about using fonts like Wingdings...... there was a situation when we had to display a survey results for review which had checkboxs, so we user Wingdings 2 and R (capital r) is square with tick mark inside and just empty square was "£" so if you could find such symbols in Word then may be you can use it to build the equation.... but it would take a long time.....

I agree with everything everyone else said here, I'd just like to add that you might be able to use HTML Entities for some of the more basic equations:

∫<i>x</i><sup>2</sup> = 2<i>x</i>

∫ = ∫Entity References:http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asphttp://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/interna...ehtml.html#mathPS. My Calculus is rusty, did I even get that equation correct? :)

Note that you're only able to "view MathML" because of the XSLT stylesheet attached to the source XML file. If you use XML, you won't be able to view the page in browsers without XSLT support (older then IE6, Opera 9 maybe, and a variety of mobile devices). If you use HTML, you can't use MathML. You can only use HTML as the output of such transformations. If you use XHTML, you can plug MathML directly and still have valid markup and everything, but IE won't show the page.The best way (I think) would be if you could use content negotiation. Serve the XHTML enabled browsers with XHTML version with a stylesheet for MathML unaware ones. And for non XHTML awared, generate HTML output by using the XHTML as a source XML document.

The best way (I think) would be if you could use content negotiation. Serve the XHTML enabled browsers with XHTML version with a stylesheet for MathML unaware ones. And for non XHTML awared, generate HTML output by using the XHTML as a source XML document.
Thanks guys for your response.boen_robot are you suggesting 2 seperate CSS files. One for the xhtml and the other for the mathML?How would you link them?Sorry to be so dense first time working on a web project. :)

Thanks guys for your response.boen_robot are you suggesting 2 seperate CSS files. One for the xhtml and the other for the mathML?How would you link them?Sorry to be so dense first time working on a web project. :)
I meant XSLT (eXtensible Stylesheet Language Transformations) stylesheet. If you look at the implementation guide, you'll notice the <?xml-stylesheet?> processing instruction includes an XSLT file.This instruction is read by the browser. If the page is rendered with an XML based MIME type (such as XHTML's application/xhtml+xml, or plain XML's text/xml) the XML based file will be used as an input for an XSLT transformation and will produce a certain output. MathML enabled browsers however won't use this stylesheet and will use their own built in rendering engines.If they don't render XHTML with the proper MIME type (like IE), this presents a problem, because they won't be able to read the processing instruction which would give them the output they need. For those browsers, the server can perform the transformation and return an HTML output for the browser to read. I don't know about any MathML, yet not XHTML awared user agents, so anticipating such is not exactly a big deal. If you really need them, you can always make a pure MathML document (containing ONLY the MathML data) and present it to users from another ((X)HTML) page.