sticky form: file input?

henryhenry

Can you get a file input to be sticky (ie when you hit refresh or submit the value in the $_POST (or $_FILES?) array is still displayed). I have read somewhere that browsers prevent this but I could swear that I've seen it done somewhere!

'when you hit refresh'...There are two ways to maintain a variable.One way is to have variables stored in a session on the server. Those variables need to be sent to the server first ofcourse! Then the variable can be stored as $_SESSION['variable'] = $variable;and read as $variable = $_SESSION['variable'];The second way is in a cookie, don't know how that is done though.I think your best bet is to have some JS code create a cookie as soon as you leave the field where the file input is entered. This topic may enter the realm of AJAX but I'm not sure.Is this what you mean? I hope this is of any help.

No, I don't think you can do that. That would definately be a security issue. Consider if you went to a page and typed something into a search box and hit search but the form also had this in it:<input type="file" style="display: none;" value="C:\Windows\repair\sam">You hit the button and, voila, you upload your backup password file to the server without ever knowing it. That would be bad.