x.grandpa.nodeValue

PrateekSaxena

Hello,I am building something in JS that requires me to often check the elements parent's parent of grandpa. Is there a way that I can extend the element object to get a method called grandpa???

you could do something like this (use this function instead of document.createElement)

function createElement(tag){  var elem = document.createElement(tag);  elem.grandpa = function()  {	return this.parentNode.parentNode;  }  return elem;}

No no.. I mean like there is an HTML file -

<body> <div id="saxena">  <div id="sks">   <div id="prateek"></div>   <divi id="pooja"></div>  </div> <div id="vandna"></div></body>

go if i call prateek.grandpa.nodeId I should get "saxena"

the object oyu what to extend is HTMLElement. Unfortunately IE doesn't let you extend it. you will need to create a function that would scan the DOM and attach your function to every element unless you create the dom dynamically using the function I showed earlier.

the object oyu what to extend is HTMLElement. Unfortunately IE doesn't let you extend it. you will need to create a function that would scan the DOM and attach your function to every element unless you create the dom dynamically using the function I showed earlier.
Yeah, I just ran into IE's little prevention yesterday on a different project. Punks. I wanted to add an addEventListener method to HTMLElements so that I could do it in a cross-browser way (rather than use addEventListener in DOM Compliant browsers and attachEvent in IE). So, I ended up doing what aspnetguy did - I wrote a stand-alone function.Instead of element.addEventListener("click", myhandler), I have to call addEventListener(element, "click", myhandler).

Would you please suggest a book that I could get on JS that tell you about the OOP in JS. I mean just the Syntax not the Bruce Eckel Stuff about OOP

I wrote an object to simulate HTMLElement.prototype in all browsersobject

var DOMElement = 		{			extend: function(name,fn)			{				if(!document.all)					eval("HTMLElement.prototype." + name + " = fn");				else				{					//					//	IE doesn't allow access to HTMLElement					//	so we need to override 					//	*document.createElement					//	*document.getElementById					//	*document.getElementsByTagName					//								//take a copy of					//document.createElement					var _createElement = document.createElement;								//override document.createElement					document.createElement = function(tag)					{						var _elem = _createElement(tag);						eval("_elem." + name + " = fn");						return _elem;					}								//take copy of					//document.getElementById					var _getElementById = document.getElementById;								//override document.getElementById					document.getElementById = function(id)					{						var _elem = _getElementById(id);						eval("_elem." + name + " = fn");						return _elem;					}										//take copy of					//document.getElementsByTagName					var _getElementsByTagName = document.getElementsByTagName;								//override document.getElementsByTagName					document.getElementsByTagName = function(tag)					{						var _arr = _getElementsByTagName(tag);						for(var _elem=0;_elem<_arr.length;_elem++)							eval("_arr[_elem]." + name + " = fn");						return _arr;					}				}			}		};

Here is some examples of how to use itexample

<html><head>	<script type="text/javascript" src="DOMElement.js"></script>	<script type="text/javascript">			DOMElement.extend("foo",function(){alert('bar')});		DOMElement.extend("about","DOMElement v0.1")		DOMElement.extend("contents",function(){return this.innerHTML})		var elem = document.createElement("div");		elem.foo();				onload = function()		{			var elem2 = document.getElementById("myDiv");			alert(elem2.about);						var divs = document.getElementsByTagName("div");			for(var i=0;i<divs.length;i++)				alert(divs[i].contents())		}		</script></head><body>	<div id="myDiv">hi</div>	<div id="div2">there</div></body></html>

Any suggestions for the book? Cause i could not understand half of what you wrote up there :) !

start here http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatutors/oopjs.shtmlkeep in mind:

var obj = new Object();obj.name = "myObject";obj.eat = function(){alert(this.name + " is eating!")}

is the same as

var obj = {  name: "myObject",  eat: function(){alert(this.name + " is eating!")}}

and

var arr = newArray();arr[0] = "one";arr[1] = "two";

is the same as

var arr = ["one","two"];

Okay!eat: function(){alert(this.name + " is eating!")}This is the part that I was never able to understand!Apart from a website, is there a book that I should refer too, I mean a real book with paper and stuff!

Alright, online it is then! thanks for your help, I will post on this topic only if I have any more problems!thanks....

I wrote an object to simulate HTMLElement.prototype in all browsers
//					//	IE doesn't allow access to HTMLElement					//	so we need to override 					//	*document.createElement					//	*document.getElementById					//	*document.getElementsByTagName					//

Hah! So IE doesn't allow you to extend the HTMLElement, but it doesn't have any problems with you completely overriding document.createElement and document.getElementById!? All I can do is shake my head...Nice work, aspnetguy.

Alright, online it is then! thanks for your help, I will post on this topic only if I have any more problems!
Me too, Prateek. I've only read one book on javascript (it was an O'Reilly book), the rest I've learned from playing and from reading online.

Ok....it seems that everyone seems to do it that way. Well then I will do the same! I iwll also save money as wont have to buy the book :)

My dad got this subscription from O'Reilly where you pay 20$ a month and can read any 10 books for that month, online!

My dad got this subscription from O'Reilly where you pay 20$ a month and can read any 10 books for that month, online!
Wow that is a good deal. If he already has a subscription you might as well use it if you can. Those books aren't downloadable are they :) j/k
Thanks.

Hmm..actually you can see each page as a print friendly format too and they can be saved. But the subscriptions allows you to download any 5 Chapters in PDF in one month!