The Right Query

PrateekSaxena

Hi,:)Let us say that there is a website where anyone can just enter there name and a message and that message will be displayed on the front page. Also if someone clicks on the name we can see the posts by that guy. There will be millions of people posting messages.So what should I do? Should I make on table for the person and message query it if I have to show a sinlge person's post, or should I have a separate table for everyone? Or something else? Please give your suggestions... :)

Hi!I would start with a table for the messages, then how I would proceed depends on if I allow any visitor to post, or only those who has a login..If any visitor is allowed to post, you only need one table with mess. and then store the name as a string. To see all posts by that author you just get the name and compares it as so

SELECT * FROM messages WHERE name = '$name'

One problem with is that different visitors can post using the same name.The other way, to only let "members" to post, requires a second table with the informat abou the users (name/username, password, email etc)Then you just use the users id to assosciate the post with the user:

SELECT * FROM messages WHERE id=$id

Something, like that. Very abstract, but still...Good Luck and Don't Panic!

No, I know the query, I mean would it be efficient to do so, or the SQL server take days to turn out the results of the queries if it has millions of messages?

I know that you know the quires, they was anly a "bi-product" of what I was writing.The essential part of my post was the other text.I Can't see another way, and I don't think it's "unenfficiant". A use of a seperate table for each user would be a bad way.Eaven with a million posts there shouldn't be a problem (unless you're going to display all at once ;?) ), not when it comes to getting the messages, but perhaps when it comes to space.One thing to do is perhaps a "cleanup"; once a week remove all messages that are more than a month old.

Ok I will use only one table....BTW: the clean up aint possible!

Cause we wanna see archives :) thats why

hehehe...so on table only?

Yes.Can't see any reason to why you should use (or need...) more than one table for this (other than usermanagement, but you didn't need that, so).If you would have a table for every user you would end up with ALOT of tables (say 1 mil. messages > [guessing] 10 000 - 50 000 individuals, or say 100 000 posts > 500 - 10 000 individs) It would be a nightmare to manage/administrate...Good Luck and Don't Panic!

Thanks Mr CHISOL and I not panicking :)

I think that as long as you put an index on whichever field(s) you are using in your WHERE clause, even with millions of records, the results will come back relatively quickly.You may also consider storing all of the records in one table and a sort of "rollup" in another table which only has the messages that were received in the last day (or week or whatever). Then, to pull the most recent messages, you'd only have to pull from thousands of records and you'd only need to pull from the millions of records when you want to display an archived message.

Alright....well MySQL is pretty fast!!