Need help being pointed in right direction

music_lp90

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to coding. I know html well and I know a fair amount of css and some javascript. I'm creating a newspaper site and I'm trying to make as little work as possible for those that update the site. My question is: I have a column on the right side of the page that displays when someone is reading an article. In that column will be blurbs from other articles that are in the same section. For instance, if they are reading an entertainment article, the column will show blurbs of the other entertainment articles. These blurbs will be the exact same blurbs that are displayed on the main entertainment page or whatever section they are in. How can I scrape (if that’s the right term) or copy automatically those blurbs that already exist and insert them into the column automatically in order to make less work for those updating the site? I’m not looking for someone to necessarily give me the exact script or whatever, but can you point me in the direction of what type of coding could do this, maybe php or is there javascript that will do this? Maybe RSS, I don’t know. Any help in pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

it sounds like you should use some sort of cms (content management system) for this site rather than static html pages. most sites like what you describe would do this wheter they use their own tailored cms or one that is already available. basically you would want to store the articles and other content in a database and use server side scripting such as php or asp to display this data. there are free and open source cms on the net which you can modify to suit your design needs. this maybe the way to go if you dont have much experience with databases

Thanks for the answers. The site is for my school and its hard to find people there that really know code. So this forum is great. There's actually someone that will be continuing the project next semester, and they are going to be creating a content management system, I believe. So, maybe this is something I should let him deal with and in the mean time the people updating the site can just deal with the extra work.