Anybody good with forums?

LifeInBinary

Hey guys,It's been a while since I was on here. I am taking a new client, but he wants a forum. I am fine with the rest of the site, but I have NO experience with forums at all. I would hate to not take the job just because of the forum. Would anybody be willing to help me get a forum up and running if I pay them?@ moderators: I don't know if this is allowed here or not. If it's not, my bad and I'm sorry - feel free to lock it. If it is, any help?Thanks as always,LifeInBinary.

Hey guys,It's been a while since I was on here. I am taking a new client, but he wants a forum. I am fine with the rest of the site, but I have NO experience with forums at all. I would hate to not take the job just because of the forum. Would anybody be willing to help me get a forum up and running if I pay them?@ moderators: I don't know if this is allowed here or not. If it's not, my bad and I'm sorry - feel free to lock it. If it is, any help?Thanks as always,LifeInBinary.
Are you writing your own forum software (if so, what language)? Or installing pre-existing software like vBulletin?Writing your own software is a little more time consuming, but I've written plenty of boards, its not terribly difficult from a programming point of view.

If your client wants "any" forum, I suggest IPB (this one). It's just great. The only problem is (s)he'll have to pay Invision some money. If they want a free one, I guess phpBB will be it.If they want a custom forum, now that's where you'll have to refuse the offer, cause building this thing from scratch could take a while.

phpbb3 is near the end of the beta testing. I'd recommend that, although it would depend on what they anticipate the usage as. There are some really good, lesser known forum software around, some even validate xhtml strict, if you know where to find them :)

Wow, thanks for your interest guys.I am asking the client to be more specific about what he wants in a forum - so when I know, you'll know. Keep posted.Note: The client is not 100% sure he is even ready to pay for a website. If he backs out, then I won't need your help. However, I would still be interested in learning how to incorporate forums in the future - and I wouldn't be able to pay anyone, but I would still be interested in learning how to do it personally.Again, I'll let you know where he stands.Thanks guys,LifeInBinary.P.S. - If anyone wants to email me about what they would charge to help on this project, or just helping me with forums personally for free - my email address is jaywilliams2005@yahoo.com - Thanks.

i would probably use phpbb and design a new theme so that the forum fits in with the rest of the clients site & doesnt look like every other bb on the net. you can charge him for this design even tho you are using a premade forum script.