Database?

Err

Hello folks, sorry about the lag in my replies. School and work don't really go well together. I'll try my best to reply sooner. :)Here's my question:I'm looking to setup up some sort of local search page on my computer for file names contained in one folder. For example, I want to click on a local web page on my desktop, a search box will appear. I want a user to input the model number of a door then search, and a link image of the door will be outputted. What do I need to do this, a database or MySQL? Do I need to install some server side language like PHP? I'm completely lost in this area, some help in the right direction would be great. :) Yes, I know the "Search" button in the explorer window can do the same thing I want, but I don't want to use it for this.I apologize in advance for placing my message here, I just didn't know what category to put this in. :)

You will need:a.) editing software (notepad, eclipse, dreamweaver, etc.)b.) server side scripting language (php, asp, coldfusion)c.) database (ms sql, mysql, oracle, etc.)d.) tutorials (w3schools.com)e.) web browser (firefox, opera, safari, netscape, internet explorer, etc.)f.) high school degree or equivilantThen you'll have to database all the information you want to store and then build a search page that will take information submitted from the form and search for it in the various fields of the database. You'll be storing the image file names in the database, so the images would have to be in their own folder in your web application. So your page will have to link to the images accordingly.Does that help?

Wow, thanks a lot Skemcin, that really helps out a lot, I'm most likely going to come back for more help though :) I have at least one of those things listed from each listed item. Question though, why do I need a high school degree for what I'm trying to do? I really want to use this for practice and if it all works out, I may just setup one on a computer at work for actually searching for any manual of doors using the model numbers.

Hey,Developing this for an intranet at work sounds pretty cool - I'm sure your boss would appreciate it (eventually). As fro the high school diploma, I just threw that it to be funny (more conspicuously to point out that it's not a hard application (over all) to build. But, something like that can easily get complicated once you start getting creative with plans to expand it.Either way, I don't think you'll have too much trouble - but thats when this place steps in.Good Luck.

• 1 year later...

OK. I know this thread is old... I didn't acutally start with this web application until recently because of school and work, but now I have some time to work on this, and I already have a question.I have a local web page with forms set up on my PC with the WAMP5 server set up on it. It comes with phpMyAdmin MySQL and I have the web page connected to database. My question now is: how do I go about linking the entries in my database to the files on my computer? Still don't know much about databases, so I could use some help.Thanks.

Ok, I got it. I thought I had to link it somehow in the database, but I guess I can link it through the PHP code.I have another problem, when I search through the database with the form, is there some way I can pull one result only? Below is what I'm using now, but the problem with this is that it pulls the results for the first keyword, then pulls the result for the second keyword. Is there an easier way to do this, like somehow use a different query?

for ($i = 0; $i < count($chars); $i++) {  $dbResult = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM doors WHERE Make='" .$chars[$i]. "' OR Model='" .$chars[$i]. "'");  while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($dbResult)) {	$searchResult .= "	<tr><td>" .$row['Equipment']. "</td><td>" .$row['Make']. "</td><td><a href=\"" .$row['Filename']. "\">" .$row['Model']. "</a></td><td>" .$row['Series']. "</td></tr>";	$searchResult .= "\n";  }}

Archived