I designed a site for a 800x600 resolution. Is there a way to change my CSS..

psypent81

Hi everyone,I recently started CSS and completed a website for a friend of mine. The original site (http://www.helenbwilson.com), but now when the website is viewed at a higher resolution, the top and bottom bleeds dont go all the way to the top/bottom. Is it possible to edit the CSS so that I can at least make it display correctly for 1024x XXXX browsers? Any help would be greatly appreciated:)Thank you guys, you are very helpful..-psypent

Depending how you set up your page(s) you should be able to remove any width/size settings and the page will size to fit the screen.Otherwise use percents instead of fixed pixel width. That should help.

Depending how you set up your page(s) you should be able to remove any width/size settings and the page will size to fit the screen.Otherwise use percents instead of fixed pixel width. That should help.
Cool, thank you very much! Another question: If I use percents, should I base the percentage from the smallest screen size, of 800x600? What happens if I have a nav bar that consists of images that are a specific size? I will experiment and hopefully that will solve the problem:) Thanks for that tidbit, it really helps:)-psypent

If I use percents, should I base the percentage from the smallest screen size, of 800x600? What happens if I have a nav bar that consists of images that are a specific size?
you can use the css property min-width to set a smallest size for your flexible layout. there is a max-width property also. between the 2 of these you can make sure that a liquid layout will not break in very large or small resolutionsexample: #wrapper {width: 100%; min-width: 760px; max-width: 1400px;}min & max width are fully supported by FF & IE7 but not IE6

I am just curious since this topic was brought up... what do people generally build if they are using CSS and a tableless layout? Do they build a site with a specific resolution in mind or is it best to have it be able to fit in different resolutions? I am new to learning CSS and now that I have found CSS I never plan to do a table layout unless I am specifically asked to by a future customer, if I ever get a customer lol. I understand HTML and have checked into the XHTML differences and other than a few closing tags not much is changing from how I coded my HTML. CSS is something that I understand how to use it, what it is used for, but I just haven't figured out how to make it do everything I want it to do, which I figure will come in practice/time. I find CSS a bit hard to learn, but maybe it is because I usually am taught from books rather than roaming around picking through other people's code and tweaking it to figure out how it actually works(which isn't always easy for me as some code doesn't appear to change anything, but who knows lol).So the reason of this post, build for multiple resolutions or just one? I understand what the benefit is, but is it really worth the extra trouble to get it to look nice in all sorts of resolutions/browsers? For practice, since I couldn't think of anything else, I am putting together a site for a FPS clan that I hang with, but none of them are putting in any ideas for what they want. The way it seems I learn best is tell me to do something and I will try and figure out how until I get the job done.System

The easiest way I find for implementing CSS is by div and span. (class="css class"). Because you can never be certain about someones resolution/browser, its usual that you create your layout to display the same (or very, very similar) in each case; you cant expect someone to change their computer setup/preferences just to view your site (unless your incredibly popular/powerful, HOTMAIL HATES OPERA),anyway, why not try building the basic page using % values instead of px values, including text, and experiment with opera IE and FF and with different screen resolutions/sizes until it is completely cross-browser valid. If your feeling very sure you could even validate it as 100% CSS at the validator

Yes, I have been using Divs for different sections of my practice pages. I use a container which then includes banner/left/content/right/footer inside of it to do the layout rather than using tables. I just wasn't sure if it was the norm to use a scaling site or a static sized site.System

for items of your page that should probably stay a set width (such as a navbar on the side), I normally use a fixed pixel width, then for the rest use a percentage of the page (or whatever the item is enclosed in), I also try to make it so the site looks best at about 1000px wide, but is still plenty readable and useable at 800px, and can also expand a bit so it looks good at around 1300pxwhen it comes down to it, you just have to do a lot of code tweaking and experimenting

I am still very new with building sites and it is just frustrating at this point. I know the syntax and how to do the basics, but anything more than that and I hit a wall. I can make an okay looking site, but no where near what I will need to be able to do. I will try and start working with percentages and such, it is just hard working 45+ hours a week, getting chores done and still trying to have some fun in life while also learning the ins and outs of web design.System

Archived