web/ computing jobs

Html

Do these kind of jobs exist, a specific kind of path. i.e. web design on the technical level only. I did read there are several parts to web design, i.e. web developer etc. But that is all mainly done by one person. Or for example with programming now their moving to more like meetings? There isn't some kind of simplistic job path? Doesn't sound confusing? :)

I am a professional web developer. My job requires me to write XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript. It also requires me to program ASP.Net and C# windows applications, edit and create graphics in photoshop, and administer the web server...so basically I do a bit of every part of the field. This is probably very common in small companies. I am the only full time developer and we have 1 other part-time developer. It is ithe big comapnies that people are given more specific job focuses.

Just over 5 years ago, that was really the only kind of IT jobs out there - very specific roles. When the DOT COM bubble burst, many speculated that was one of the very causes. You had tons of individuals hired for a very specific role which was possible with all the venture capital that was out there. Realistically, it was just eh fact that no one had good business plans and thats why many companies failed. My point in this is that one outcome of this was companies realized just how closely related many aspects of IT are. And that close relationship drew them to expect IT professionals to have a broader skill set.But nowadays, things have evened out - although there are a few ripples here and there. Just as aspnetguy indicates, you will need a more broad skill set if you are going to work for a small organization as opposed to a more specific (yet more developed) skill set for a larger company. Each has their trade offs - the small company will accept one person who would rank their skills sets 6 or 7 across the board (on a scale of 1 to 10). The larger company would be looking for a 9 or 10 for a specific skill set while not too concerned with the others, accepting a 4 or 5.

So, now all IT jobs are officed based? Um, what are the alternative to IT without a kind of office environment?
All IT jobs are NOT office based. Mine happens to be, I am a programmer, I suppose if my boss would let me I could take a laptop down to Tim Horton's (Canadian Starbucks) and work there.Ont he other hand the company I work for has 5 technicians that travel all over Canada, for weeks at a time, installing or repairing computer, phone, security, and camera systems our company sells.

So, now all IT jobs are officed based? Um, what are the alternative to IT without a kind of office environment?
The short answer, self-employment or an employer that supports telecommuting. But since most IT related jobs deal with, well, information technology, they you almost have to be in the office to perform your job. A manger or director might be able to spend less time in the office and make decision from the golf course using their BlackBerries, what fun is that.It all comes down to what you define as an office. I have a friend that has a brick-n-mortar office with a cubical, phone, desk, and chair. But his arse is more likely to be found sitting in his car or an airplane hacking away on his laptop fixing issues with his employers remote offices. So, is his office that cube in downtown Chicago or is it nothing more than the point he happens to be at when his laptop is opened an running?

I guess this is just a semantic issue, but I don't really think of myself as being an IT person. When I think of IT, I think of someone running around the office helping people set up their printers, or teaching people how to use Excel, or fixing a network or a server issue, or upgrading computers. I think of myself more as a software engineer, or even just a developer. There are a ton of "offce IT" jobs out there where you will be fixing people's problems, those jobs are all over the place. Any office with a network needs an IT person. Programming or engineering jobs are more competitive then simply IT, not every company needs a developer on staff.

Hmm, ok some good results..."Skemcin" what you describe as an office a cube...No way! A bit more casual than that...if possible. "justsomeguy" what you said about fixing small issues or so...Um, seems a little more in my path I think. Programming requires some serious interest to be successful. And maths? As for a web developer similar too...

Archived